Monday 21 July 2014

Sort Pole Series, Second Round, Trinty Waters, Woodland Lake. Sunday 20th July 2014

After a weeks enforced break, I was keen to get back out on the bank and hopefully put what has been a dreadful run, behind me.  It was nice after a couple of weeks of solid work and driving to Worcester and back every day, to get a lift from Tony Rixon, with the usual stop off at Shipham for breakfast.

A new slim line Misha greeted us with her usual cheery demeanor, it is good to see Woodland open again and seemingly very little damage done to it by the recent KHV outbreak, John stopped by for a chat and told me of his plans for a new lake, he certainly doesn't seem to have any plans to retire and put his feet up.

I wasn't to bothered where I drew, with a couple of exceptions, I really don't get on with the pegs on the top bank,  I would prefer a peg on the back bank, but either side or bottom end would be OK.  I pulled peg 29 out, which is approximately in the middle of the car park bank, just over the bridge.

A fairly simple attack today, 8mm pellet and paste, four rigs, a MW pinger for banded pellet at full depth and a paste rig for the same line, and two AK47 margin floats rigged up for either margin, one with a B960 C/W band and the other on 0.20 straight through to a 10 B911XS. I was ready with half an hour to spare and wandered up to see Tony fishing the margin of Ash lake behind his peg, he did manage one small crucian before it was time to wander back and put the nets in.

On the all in I fed the 'long line' (which was topkit + 3 sections) with 8mm pellets and some hemp and the margins with pellet.  First drop in with a banded 8mm pellet saw a couple of indications and after a couple of lift and drops, the float buried and a 1lb+ skimmer was netted. The first hour was slow going with another skimmer and one carp being the sum total. A switch to paste saw a couple of fish netted, but there was a lot of activity and I fouled a couple of fish which came off. After a couple of hours I had a look in the margin and the float buried first put in, the culprit was a 1lb perch who took a liking to the paste.

The margins on this bank can be really productive as John created some nice flat areas when he lowered this bank, but they are best when you have an empty peg next to you, which as I had Bela one side and Paul Elmes the other, I was fishing them more in hope than expectation.  I managed 3 carp and 3 perch from the margin, for what ever reason the carp didn't come in and settle.

Paste on the long line had to be my banker and it seemed that feeding 1/2 a pot then fishing it out  was best, trying to introduce a few pellets with the paste was a waste of time.  I had two quiet spells of an hour each, where I didn't put a fish in the net, I am sure they had just backed off a bit and obviously given the limitations of the short pole rules, I couldn't follow them out.  The two quiet spells and the lack of a late margin run cost me a framing place, but I did pick up the section money by default, so that's 2 second in sections in this series so far, 2 section wins are essential to stand any chance of getting into the overall money at the end.

I ended up with two nets clicked at 53 and 23, along with my silvers, they actually weighed 55 odd and 23 odd so reasonable accurate clicking, just a shame about those two quiet spells, leaving me 3 fish off second place.

1: Shaun Townsend 121.00 peg 9
2: Tony Rixon 106.05 peg 26
3: Paul Elmes 105.06 peg 30
4: Chris Fox 87.08 peg 29
5: Steve Seager 79.03 peg 13
6: Leon Hubbard 73.12 peg 14

Silvers

Clint Wojtyle 18-06-0 peg 11

No comments: