Monday 8 June 2015

Viaduct Spring League, Round Four, Sunday 7th June 2015

I am fairly confused by this league, or at least, by my results in it, I wouldn't have expected to do so poorly, even given the high quality of anglers fishing. This match has compounded my misery and I still don't know if I am doing something drastically wrong.

Onto the match, I drew 111, which is usually a decent peg, good for a few fish and the occasional win, today was all about being positive, so a lead rod set up, the wind seemed awkward, so the waggler rods stayed in the bag. Topkits for pellet shallow / mugging - didn't see a fish to mug and shallow never had so much as a liner - so they went away with no action seen.

A rig to fish meat at 5m, a pellet rig to fish 6mm at 14,5m on the deck, a margin rig and as I had time, a paste rig  - mainly because I had Lee Werritt opposite on 130, I was sure he'd be fishing paste and if he started catching on it, I could try it.

On the all-in I potted in 5 bits of meat and lowered the rig over it, it buried and an angry 5lber was attached, what a start, then I proceeded to turn playing it into something from the era of black and white slapstick films, as it was wallowing around at the left of my keepnets, it suddenly put on a turn of speed that would have it tested for steroids in any other sport and ran behind the nets, but in front of the platform legs.  I managed the topkit passed under the pallet maneuver without breaking the topkit, but then managed to knock another topkit in the water and it floated off - thanks to dave White on 110 for rescuing it.

With the fish safely landed, I looked back on the meat line, but that was to be it from here, apart from a roach and a tiny skimmer,  Out on the 14m line there was a few bubbles and after a long wait I managed a skimmer on 6mm pellet, then fouled a carp that tore off and straightened a 16 B960, unusual to see those bent out of shape.  New hook on and back out, another fouler, this time when everything got horribly taut, there was a loud crack, not the pole, but the elastic had disappeared along with the PTFE bush.

Another topkit, another rig and finally a fish hooked in the mouth on the pellet, safely landed with no problem, a long wait for another bite, Dave on 110 was similarly struggling, as was lee on 130 and Steve on 131, whilst 132 was emptying it.

Next calamity filled moment was hooking a double, which came in OK and then dived under the pallet, this time breaking the topkit and the elastic cut through on the damaged carbon, the fish stayed on and was landed in another comedy moment by handlining the elastic. Anothe PTFE bush gone and another elastic, turning into an expensive disaster.....

By now, Dave White on 110 had switched to fishing up by the brambles and had started to catch, Tucks on 112 was bagging, fishing towards 113 and I was still struggling, in fact with 40 minutes to go, I packed up slowly and tidily, chucked back about 38-40lb and buggered off home, haven't felt so disheartened with fishing for sometime now.  I really am at a loss to explain what has gone wrong with this league, apart from the comedy moments, I fished tidily, with no reward.

I think I have to blame Gary O'Shea and Steve Long for the carp under the pallet, as I have been trying solid elastic, Sensas latex, on their recommendations and I haven't quite got it sussed yet when the fish run off on the topkit, it stretches more than you'd think.. That said, apart from those disasters, it improves the action of the pole, by reducing weight and I am sure I will get used to it, as until this, I have had no problems in the 2 or 3 weeks I have used it.

Upwards and onwards, Landsend next Sunday, looking forward to that, then an open on Tuedsay at Woodland View, before the Fisho there on Wednesday, the MMT at Viaduct on Saturday week and the last round of the spring league on Sunday week - chance to redeem myself, although I'll take a last in this one if I can win the MMT  :)

No comments: