Sunday 29 May 2016

Tony Rixon's Float Only League, Round 1, Viaduct, Sunday 29th May 2016

First round of Tony's popular float only league today, Campbell and Cary in, I wasn't too fussed where I drew as a section win was the aim, although the wind was pushing towards the car park bank again, yesterday in Veals we both thought 109 might be a nice draw.

Into the tin and I was somewhat shocked to draw 135, car park bank of Campbell, now this can be a feast or famine peg and I have drawn it before and struggled, but with the wind blowing in to it and a few fish came off it yesterday, surely it should be worth a section win.  Apparently, so I was advised, the fish yesterday were caught short on meat and 11m down the RH edge.

As the fish have been spawning, I did try and give myself some options, so set up a rig to fish meat short, two pellet rigs to fish 14m, one shallow, one full depth, I also set up a paste rig, to try a target bait over the pellet if necessary.  Two margin rigs, one with 3 No8s bulked and one with 3 No11's spread out, as I had a couple of waggler rods in the ready made case, I got them out - they went away again at the end unused.

Bait tray was simple, 6 and 8mm pellets, 8 and 10mm meat and dead maggots, I did have a bag of paste and some worms in the cool bag. Starting short on meat, it was evident that there were some 'shit' fish in the peg, as the float did the dance that signals small fish attacking the meat.  I persevered for 20 minutes and did have two carp on it, but it wasn't going to be a worthwhile line of attack, at least not early on.

I had fed a throwaway line with softened pellets down to the left, it remained thrown away, I didn't see any indication of a fish there all match, I also pinged pellets down to the pallet of 136.  I went out on the 14m line, in line with the aerator, I had a couple of fish and had some liners, I tried the shallow rig and did not get a touch on it.  Persevering with the full depth rig, was best and I upped the feed, I had 3 No11's down the line and I had several fish on the drop, but mainly I caught by sitting and waiting, lifting and dropping didn't work at all.  I kept at this, apart from a a short spell where I did try paste over the feed, but the wind was making it awkward to fish at this length.

Back on the pellet and fish were coming to the net, not at an amazing rate, nor were they a big stamp of fish, but I could see the lake was fishing reasonably hard for some, so stuck at it.  I had been pinging pellets down to 136 all this time and went in there for a look, but nothing, not a bite, this was exactly the same as last time I drew the peg.  I decided to put GB and maggot in to try and draw the fish that were slurping away under the brambles to the left of 110. 3 big pots and back on the long pellet rig until I saw some indication down the edge.

Dropping two worms in over the GB was more successful than pellet and I did manage a few fish from there, but it was never hectic and the fish size wasn't the expected stamp from the edge.  With 3/4 of an hour to go I put a 4th net in, having clicked 50lb on the three I had in, this was the usual kiss of death, putting just three fish in it in the last 45 minutes.  With hindsight I should have gone back on the pellet, but was kept 'interested' in the margin, by the odd bite, signs of fish and I did lose a double figure fish just before the end - frustratingly it was one of the lazy wallowers, which you expect to draw in and scoop straight away, this one managed to wallow himself off the hook and cost me second place......... Still, lake win and section win, so mission accomplished.

1. Dave White - 204lb 10oz - peg 109
2. Nick Ewers - 182lb 3oz - peg 76
3. Chris Fox - 181lb 7oz - peg 135
4. Chris Davis - 165lb 1oz - peg 131
5. Ken Rayner - 161lb 5oz - peg 94
6. Dan White - 144lb 12oz - peg 123

No comments: