Sunday 11 September 2016

Avalon Open Sunday 11th September 2016

After the week at Landsend I fancied a day targeting the skimmers at Avalon, so worms and casters were obtained and some rigs made up to fish for skimmers. I did chuck a few pellets in the bag in case I drew a corner peg, but I left home pellet wagglers etc.

 Peg 42 out of the bag, it looked OK, but there was the bright sun and lack of ripple which had me wondering if I had made the right decision.  A 0.6g rig with a 6313 16 for worm and a 0.4g rig with a 18 hook, also a double bulk rig, also with a 16 hook.

I also set up two whips, one to fish through the water and one with a rig bulk shotted to fish really shallow, as I though the roach and rudd would feed.

I fed two lines at the start, 14m and 8m, both with GB laced with worm, caster and dead maggot and picked up a whip.  this as expected produced a few small fish, once I fiddled around with the depth to find them.  After 1/2 an hour I had a look over the 14m line - I can't wax lyrical or expand on it any other way than to say, I never had a bite over it all match, not on worm, caster, dead maggot or corn.  Apart from a couple of big carp blows, there was absolutely no sign of fish over the bait, same with the 8m line except I did have two skimmers over it, one on worm, one on double caster, abot 3 hours apart.

In between attempting to catch elusive skimmers, I flogged away with the whip and had a selection of roach, rudd, perch and motherless minnows from a couple of drams up to 6oz.  Ended up with 21.07 which was only enough for 3rd in the silvers, it would seem that further up the lake to the windward end, there was a ripple and that was enough to see the skimmers feed.


No comments: