Friday 30 September 2016

Ivy House Open, Tuesday 27th September 2016

When Tony picked me up I did mention the traffic had been horrific in Bristol the day before, so maybe we should go via Tog Hill,  but as we sailed through town and up the M32 last time, we headed that way.  An hour after leaving home we were sat on Newfoundland road (5 miles!!) with the M32 just a huge car park.  So off at Easton and up through Kingswood and Tog Hill, arriving at the fishery 2 hours 15 minutes after leaving home, this for a journey of approx 36 miles.  Whoever is in charge of Bristol traffic planning should be publicly flogged.

So late for the draw, which they kindly held back 15 minutes, had to race down one of Karen's breakfasts and when the drawbag was brought to our table, there were just two pegs left in, I pulled 23, not a peg I'd chose and Tony managed the much more fancied 44 - so much for the birthday draw gods being kind to me.

23 is the road bank of Willow lake and I have never seen it beat the opposite bank, anytime I have been here, so I guessed I had my work cut out.  I decided to fish GB/worm at 14m and micros/soft pellet at 7m, also a margin down to my RH side.

At the all-in I fed the GB with a little worm and caster in (3 balls) and started on the soft pellet line, this produced a roach, not a great start and nothing much else followed.  Out to the worm line and this was also very slow a 15 minute or so wait for a bite and that was either a tiny perch or a small skimmer, giving me the feeling that not much was out there.  The pegs to my left and right were struggling, whilst the 3 pegs opposite were putting fish in the net, not at any great rate, but better quality and more regularly than us on the road bank.

The match stayed pretty much like that, with an hour to go I started feeding caster on a topkit line and some decent roach started coming in, but the set up was all wrong, I much prefer a whip for fishing short for roach.  By now John Walker on my left had had enough and packed up, it was that tough, although I think pegging a section of 6 with 4 end pegs didn't help, although John's end peg advantage was wiped out when a pleasure angler came and set up to his left. My 15lb of silver and one lone carp was hardly worth weighing and match lake had fished much more consistently.


No comments: