Monday 24 April 2017

Viaduct Spring League Round One, Sunday 23rd April 2017

Travelled down with anniversary couple, Tony & Judith Rixon, who both had conveniently left their wallet and purse at home, so anniversary breakfast on me..... Cannards Well, it wasn't too bad, service was a bit slow, but the food was edible.

54 fishing the league and a good standard of angler, so no slip ups, drawing a bad peg isn't an option really, so into the tin and out comes 57 - so much for getting Lodge out of the way yesterday!!   Well its in with 53 and isn't the worst section draw but I felt the chance of any sort of frame position was gone.

Tony had drawn 71, my peg from yesterday, I wasn't too upset not to draw it two days running, I had seen Roland catch a few from 57 yesterday, so fingers crossed they were still in the peg. Rigs were pretty much the same as yesterday, but I could get into shallower water today, in front of the pallet of 58and down to the pipe that comes in in the corner, same rig would do for both.

Same as yesterday, start short on meat, but again, no sign of a carp, just one missed bite and one skimmer.  Bob Giles on 59 was catching on the waggler casting to the aerator, I was casting to the aerator, but my float was motionless, its a phenomenon that I can't understand, how its possible to have two floats landing either side of a rope and one going under and the other motionless- seen it happen on this lake before.  I did finally hook a big fish, I got it under the rod tip and estimate it was 17 or 18lb.  I thought I was going to net it OK, when it took off and the reel line snapped - not happy, a new line (to me) that I was trying out, think I'll be going back to good old Sensor.

With an hour and a half gone I had one skimmer in the net and it was deja vu from yesterday, I had been pinging a few bits of meat down to the pipe and had a look down there, hooking a fish straight away, safely landed, about 8lb.  I went in there again and hooked another, this was foul hooked and ran out into the lake and kept going, as the elastic bottomed out I was getting concerned as to what would break first.  Then luckily the hook pulled before there was an expensive crack, I was somewhat surprised to see the hook opened up, first time I have seen a Guru XS do this, but it was a very big fish, going very fast.

The rest of the match was spent at 16m to the pallet of 58 taking an occasional fish from there, mostly on meat, but I did take two on maggots.  I could see the lake was fishing hard apart from Bob Giles and I thought Calum Craig on 73 was catching well, but I think he lost a few when I saw him weigh in. I managed 73.11in the end which was good enough for second in section behind Bob Giles who had such a flying start.  Miles away from the 4 200lb+ weights on Campbell, but its a better start than last year, so long may it continue.

Lodge weigh sheet, didn't get pics of the others.




No comments: