Monday 1 May 2017

Norm's Open, Viaduct, Saturday 29th April 2017

55 fishing this one and virtually everyone was looking for a draw on Campbell, I did manage one, although I think its still a little early for the peg I drew, 132, to fish consistently. 

Simple options for today, 3 topkits, one for meat short, a slim homemade wire stemmed float that takes just 3x11shot, to fish meat short, a 0.2g NG float to fish pellet at 14m and a Hillbilly AK47 to fish down the RH edge and to the end bank.  I also set up a lead rod and waggler rod, although getting to the pallet of 133 is tricky now as the willow tree has enough annoying fronds that stop me casting accurately, the only way to get a float there is a sideways cast, which isn't - when I'm doing it - as accurate as overhead.

Starting quite negatively on the short meat line saw me put 3 carp for 34lb and about 6lb of silvers in the net in the first hour, then the wheels came off!!  I couldn't get a bite anywhere in the peg, no liners, no sign of fish at all. After about 2 1/2 hours I did get one on a 6mm pellet at 14m, this was the only bite on this line all day.

I had fed meat up the RH edge and groundbait with maggot at 16m to the end bank to see what was best.  Dropping in to the RH edge, I had two fish in two put ins and then nothing, I went to the end bank, 6 maggots on a 16 and had a bite straight away, it must have been the smallest carp in the lake, doubt if it weighed a lb.  Next drop in an 8lb fish, then nothing, just as the RH edge.

Back to the short line and I had a couple more skimmers and another carp, but it was one of those days when taking more than two fish from one line turned out to be impossible.  Back to the maggots against the end bank and a perch was the next and  last fish I had from there, not a good sign.  I had one more carp from the RH edge with 5 minutes to go, but it was not enough to do anymore than put me 12th out of the 55 fishing.

1. Phil Weaver - 144lb 15oz - peg 121
2. Steve Shaw - 138lb 13oz - peg 110...
3. Shawn Wilson - 135lb 4oz - peg 85
4. Ken Rayner - 133lb 4oz - peg 114
5. Dave Romain - 129lb 5oz - peg 123
6. Alex Murray - 126lb 1oz - peg 116


No comments: