Sunday 14 April 2019

Viaduct Spring League, Round 1, Sunday 14th April 2019

First round of this competitive league, with 54 fishing, sadly, whilst it is the spring league, no one told the weather, the cold nights and SE wind (not sure I can remember the last time I went fishing and it wasn't windy!!) made it feel more like winter.

The main objective is a section win, so I wasn't to bothered where I drew, I dipped into the draw tin and picked up two stuck together, so I dropped them back in and picked up another.... 112, can't complain at that.

I had a pretty simple bait tray, pellets, meat and a couple of pints of dead maggots, so the tackle choice was simple to, a waggler rod, set at depth, with no shot down the line.  A lead rod, not sure why, but it is now just something I set up because other people catch using one.   A topkit to fish down the edge, which means sitting backwards on your box, as 112 is out in the water. A meat rig for fishing at 5m, two pellet rigs a 4x16 because of the wind and a 4x12 in case they wanted a lighter rig.

Given how cold it was, I thought feeling my way in gently would be the best way, so started short just potting a couple of bits of meat in, the water was clearer than I expected, so wasn't 100% confident of getting the usual quick bonus fish and I only gave it 7 minutes.  Switching to the waggler and pinging 2/3 pellets at it saw me put 30lb on the clicker in the first hour.  Hoping the catch rate would stay steady and maybe get better towards the end was on track at the end of the second hour when another 28lb was clicked.

The third hour started better and within 20 minutes I had clicked another 25lb, the bites and indications then virtually dried up for 20 minutes, I then hit into a big fish, which apart from slightly kiting round, came in like an inanimate object - until it got two rod lengths out then it took off towards me and round the platform leg before I could stop it, the reel line between the float and the fish was no match for the platform leg and parted as easily as if the platform leg was a hot knife.

The next hour and 20 minutes were fishless and biteless, I was scratching my head, as others were getting odd fish, Calum on 113 was catching me up and I was drawing a blank on every line/bait.  There had been fish topping and rolling, but most of them were doing so beyond the halfway point, so whilst and extra few yards cast might have paid off, the rules prevented me chasing them across.  I got off my box and set up another waggler rod, to try maggots shallow, I thought it might tempt the fish that were in the upper layers, but not feeding.  It didn't.  I did get one down the edge and a couple of perch, but I was never confident that it was going to come good.

I was hoping the short meat line would come good and with 1 hour 10 minutes to go, I had a carp on the 5m meat line, several more followed and at the all out I had 137lb on my clicker and a couple of decent skimmers on the meat as well.  The scales showed my clicking skills were on reasonable form today, 141lb of carp and 4lb of silvers, the lost fish on the waggler cost me (the only one I lost all day) as my 145lb was 2nd in section and 5th in match, so a very small financial reward and disappointing not to get the section win, being beaten by 5lb, Steve Shaw on 110, who caught on the bomb, he certainly does seem to have that sussed.

Well done to Peanut winning the match from Cary, with 245lb, he had some proper lumps.  Looking forward to the next one now, hopefully the weather will be more in line with the series title.

1. Lee Pesticcio - 245lb 1oz - peg 78
2. Tony Gilbert - 213lb 5oz - peg 102
3. Ricky Mills - 189lb 14oz - peg 100
4. Steve Shaw - 150lb 14oz - peg 110
5. Chris Fox - 145lb 11oz - peg 112
6. Craig Edmunds - 143lb 15oz - peg 125


No comments: