Monday 29 April 2019

Viaduct Spring League, Round Two, Sunday 28th April 2019

No fishing since the last round of this league, as I have been away in France at a dog show, it was a successful trip with my Beauceron gaining her Cotation 4, which means she has passed sheep herding, character test, measurement and morphology with excellent and excellent + grades.

I have accepted an offer to join up with Burt Baits, so looking forward to reporting on using their products and working with them.

I was going to fish Acorn on Saturday, but storm Hannah saw all but 3 of us cry off and we decided that a three peg knock up in the extreme conditions would be a little pointless.  It gave me a chance to tie some hooks and get fully prepped for this match...…. I needn't have bothered.

I was second into the draw tub and thought I was fortunate to pull out Campbell again, 126, wouldn't be my peg of choice in the section, but should be worth a few fish.  Lead rod set up, waggler to fish pellet at full depth and onto topkits, which comprised two similar margin rigs, one with a band and one without, as I intended to fish maggots/GB to the RH side and just pellets to the left.  Two meat rigs, one with 4x11 down the line and a 0.4g in case it needed a heavier rig.  Two pellet rigs, again one light and one 0.5g to nail it down.

Starting on meat short was similar to the last round, one skimmer and not another indication, so a switch to the waggler was in order.  The wind was from behind, just slightly over my right shoulder, so feeding and casting was easy, there was a slight tow to the right, it was absolutely perfect for the waggler.  I could get it to sit still by laying 3" of line on the bottom, to go through at half trip speed by just touching bottom and at tow speed by coming off the bottom, ideal, how could I fail to catch.

For half an hour I had a couple of indications, before a proper bite and a 9lb mirror was no match for the 12' Tournament waggler rod, 4lb sensor, 0.18 Stroft hooklength and a 16 PR36, I find this ideal for viaduct once the summer starts.  I fully expected others to follow, but they didn't and I had a frustrating couple of hours when all the indications dried up, I had started feeding tentatively, ping 2/3 pellets, I tried upping the feed, changing lines, casting to an area I hadn't fed, all the things that usually get a fish failed to get even a liner.

By now Steve Denmead on 127, as well as Gay O'Shea on 125 and Tony Gilbert on 124 had gone to 16m with shallow/mugging rigs on, I knew my back, which is really bad at the moment, wouldn't cope with swinging 16m around, so I persevered with trying shorter, after getting of my box and setting up a mugging rig.  I did manage one on it, dropping 3 maggots just in front of it did the trick, but the fish were further out and in a ripple, so I could only make out the odd dark shape and not see which way they were going.

Off my box again and another waggler rod out, 3 maggots 15" deep and 3rd cast I had another carp, but by now I was well behind and apart from crippling myself, could see no way of getting back, unless they rocked up short or down the edge.  Well they didn't come in down the edge, I had some perch, a decent skimmer and a hybrid, but not a sign of a carp.  The short line came to life with some blows, two skimmers, another carp and a lost fouler in the last 15 minutes.

I was fully expecting to be last in section, but did manage to beat two in the section, so that's the dropper, can't afford another day like that, it was disappointing as the waggler presentation was so good, its a shame the quick change from high pressure to low pressure and then back to rising pressure spoiled the fishing, it was tough all over the country, so just have to take it on the chin.  I will have to sort out my back or get stronger pain killers before the next round!!

Weigh sheet below, well done to Sam on a great weight on the day.




1. Sam Powell - 212lb 7oz - peg 129
2. Mark Wynne - 133lb 12oz - peg 121
3. Dan White - 125lb 8oz - peg 88
4. John White - 120lb 6oz - peg 90
5. Jeb Attwood - 119lb - peg 110
6. Gary O'Shea - 113lb 9oz - peg 125
7. Dan Hook - 105lb 15oz - peg 94
8. Tony Gilbert - 105lb 10oz - peg 124

No comments: