Saturday 6 July 2019

Ivy House Open, Saturday 29th June 2019

Back to this fishery which I enjoy coming to, for a open over both canals, canals and snake lakes aren't usually my favourite, but these do respond to fishing in the open water, rather than tight across.

Arrived in plenty of time to have a breakfast and very nice it was, its not the cheapest especially when you add in the ground coffee, but you get what you pay for and there are no pockets in shrouds.....

Hot and sunny, so not sure what to expect and even less sure when I drew the new canal, as I usually draw the old canal, so even one of my last refuges of being able to draw somewhere I wanted has been got at by the draw gremlins...

Well, it was a lovely day to be sat outside so I intended to make the most of it, although when I got to 24, I found it to be in the shade, would have been nice to get some of that onto the water, but it was full on sun all day.

There were a few carp cruising round, so first rig out was a mugging rig, then a rig to fish across, a rig for down the edge and another for fishing soft pellet down the track, so nothing too complicated.

A good start, a 7lber mugged first put in, then a 5lber and I was starting to think it might be a good day, what I hadn't taken into consideration, was that whilst I was end peg, there were 3 empty pegs to my left and this is where the fish went and stayed sunning themselves all day.  No more muggers, none shallow and I ended up fishing down the track with expanders for anything that would take the bait, which in all honesty, wasn't a lot - a few skimmers, the odd small carp and F1, but it was far from hectic sport and it got worse and worse, the last two hours seeing only two fish landed.

The lake was won from a peg with some shade and the aerator in, looked like Frank fished a tidy match, but we were obliterated by the other canal which as expected produced the best weights. A disappointing day, but given the heat and bright sun, not surprising, hopefully I'll be back soon.



No comments: