Saturday 4 January 2020

Acorn Winter League Round Four, Saturday 4th January 2020

First match of 2020, bloody hell, 2019 seemed to go by pretty quickly, one advantage will be the summer gets here sooner.

Today's round was back to a open draw and then rotate round the sections again in the final two rounds.  I thought it was probably best to draw in the worst section today and then have the second best and best to come in the penultimate and final rounds and that is exactly what happened, sadly I drew the worst performing peg in the section, peg 21, so I knew I had my work cut out.

21 is next to the bridge and 22 the other side of the bridge has far out performed it, it seems inexplicable that the fish won't come from one side to the other, but no one has managed it yet.  

Peg points and weights so far including today....




No point pussy footing around, a couple of pounds of silvers wasn't going to do any good, so a topkit set up to fish banded pellet across, another to fish soft pellet or maggot in the same depth, two topkits for fishing down the track, by the bridge and off to the right, one with a bulk and a dropper, one Chianti with spread No11's.  And finally, one to fish down to the pallet of 20.

When I plumbed up, I did feel a fish bump into the line, so was hopeful that I might get something across, I went over there on the all in with a banded pellet, had one liner, saw a bow wave and that was it, not another indication over there all match.

It took an hour or so to get a roach in the net, shortly followed by a goldfish that was nigh on a lb.  That didn't herald a catching spree, so it was a matter of rotating all lines and the most productive was against the bridge, where I had 2 perch, a skimmer, another roach and 1 carp.  All on single maggot, on a 20 - I did set up a rig with a 22 to 0.08 and it made no difference at all, I didn't try it too long, if I hooked a carp I wanted to land it.

Well my fish went 9.11 and that was 3rd in section, not sure I could have done much more, the usual pegs threw up the weights, but you still have to catch them, so well done to those who did.  A hard, cold day for many.





No comments: