Monday 13 January 2020

Viaduct Winter League, Round 1, Sunday 12th January 2020

17 teams of 5, so a decent size league, but it does means there are some pegs in you wouldn't run to....

New format this year with the same lake rotation used, but a free draw on each lake, so nearly impossible for a team to draw the same pegs twice in the league, as happened with the old system.  I drew for the team and put myself on Spring to start, peg 10 - one of those you wouldn't run to, but not the worst draw on the lake. Put Paul on 113, Glenn on 99, Mark on 74 and Richard on 47, none of them too bad, but not the most desirable.

Peg 10 can produce a few skimmers, but it also has an overhanging tree on the island to cast to, which does draw you to it, thinking that at least one carp will be sat there waiting.  I set up a waggler to fish corn, a lead rod to fish to the tree, a feeder to fish well past the pole range and 3 topkits, two for skimmers, one a 0.4g float with a 20 to 0.10 and a 0.5g float with a 16 to 0.10 to lay some line on the deck, as it was pretty windy.  Also a Chianti with strung 11's to see if the roach were feeding.

Fed the skimmer line at 13m (too windy to go further) and started on bread to the tree, had one small liner, could have been anything, tried meat and corn to no avail.  Switched to the skimmer line and that was tough going to, a few roach, but nothing consistent, no skimmers, no quality roach.  Tried the waggler and corn, again no bites or indications.  A shorter caster line for roach didn't work and I was going nowhere fast.

I refed the skimmer line and sat it out with double caster, I did over the next hour get a perch, a hybrid and a decent skimmer, but it never felt like there were many skimmers there over the GB.  I did have one bite, one decent skimmer on the waggler and corn with 45 minutes to go. I knew I needed a carp really, so spent some more time looking for one, that was the wrong decision as I never had one.  Ended up with 9 points and had I fished for silvers all match I would have thought 14 or 15 would have been possible.

Team wise we ended on 49 points for 7th overall, not great, but not a disaster.




No comments: