Sunday 15 March 2020

Todber Whitepost Open, Sunday 15th March 2020

Back to Todber today for an open organised by Mark Poppleton.  On Whitepost, so a simple affair, pellets and maggots on the bait tray, waggler rods left in the van and just the battle through the axle deep mud to get to my peg, which was 25.

I set up a lead rod to fish pellet on a bomb and another rod with a pellet feeder.  A topkit to fish banded pellet, one for soft pellet, another for meat short and one for down the edge.


The weather didn't disappoint, the usual pissing down rain and wind for at least the first half of the match, so huddled into the Goretex I stared across on the feeder.  I was getting odd fish, but not as many as Joe McMahon on 23, who could reach the far side with a pole, I couldn't.


I switched to the pole at 14m feeding pellet with banded pellet on the hook, again, I was getting bites, but not at the rate Joe was catching., So I got off my box and got another section out, going out to 16m, that was better, a fish first put in, then one took me into the reeds opposite and took the hook length.  I put another on and was catching but still not fast enough.


I had been feeding a line at 2+2 with 7mm meat and left it until an hour and 15 minutes from the end to go in there, I was pleased I did, they were queued up and I started catching at rate that was clawing back ground on Joe and on peg 27 who'd had a run of fish from the end bank.  I had to feed 12-15 pieces every fish, if not it took longer to get bites, great to be able to feed and see fish reacting to it!!


Scales came a long and gave peg 27, 112lb, I had 122lb and Joe had 115lb, that was top three on lake and I was second in the match behind Mark Wynne who had 168lb from peg 11 on the top lake.



No comments: