Sunday 22 March 2020

Trinty Waters Open, Sunday 22nd March 2020

So, the feeling was should I go fishing today, the weekend was supposed to be spent prepping for the Frenzee festival, which has gone the way of all sporting events.
I had arranged to travel down with Tony, but on the morning we thought it would be best to travel separately and I had a feeling that this would be the last match for some time.

Misha did a good job at the draw, she'd asked everyone to bring the right money and put a bucket for it to go in, she spread the swimcards on the floor and retreated a safe distance, calling up each angler one at a time to pay and draw.

Peg 12 for me, not disappointed, its an area where there are usually a few fish to be caught.  I set up a waggler to fish banded pellet and a feeder rod with a hybrid feeder on.  Two topkits, one for banded pellet and one for soft pellet, finally one for down the edge, this lake has deep edges and can throw up fish all year round.

Well, I am going to skip most of the first 5 hours, I had one 2lb skimmer after about 10-15 minutes, I didn't have another bite until an hour and 5 minutes to go, I knew I had to do something to try and turn this around, so fed a 1/4 of a pot of micros and dead maggots down the edge.  In an enjoyable 30 minute spell I had 3 carp, a skimmer, a roach and a tench, all on 4 dead maggots.

 I then lost a big angry common, which quietened things down, before I had one more carp.  I could see a fair bit of the lake and thought I may have done enough to frame, I knew a peg on the opposite bank had beaten me.  Not too disappointed to be second for two Sundays running, sadly no chance of keeping that embryonic run going, as that is fishing done and dusted for a few weeks.



I wonder how the commercials will react to a 'close season' I don't think it will do any harm as long as the owners can afford to manage them and where necessary feed the fish.  Fingers crossed it won't be too long and we all come through this and get back to normal life (whatever that will look like afterwards) sooner rather than later.




No comments: