Saturday 20 June 2020

Barston Bowl Saturday 20th June 2020

Barston today for the Barston Bowl, not fished this before and I didn't realise the format when I bought the ticket, its 3 hours on the feeder, three hours on the pole, no catapults.  So in for a penny....

Good drive up, the M42 was a joy..... and how often can you say that!!!

Pools paid and peg 13 was drawn for me, no idea if it was good or not, but a couple of locals passed on their wisdom as the trundled their laden trolleys past me and most of it was less than positive, but you never know...



Three feeders set up, one at 30 turns, one at 55 turns and another at 80 turns, all methods of varying description, setting up I dropped a brand new Guru hydrid feeder behind my box and it bounced straight into the lake, no change of getting back at the bottom in front of the peg is rocky.

Some GB and micro pellets prepared and then the pole to set up, in all my years of fishing the pole, I have never lost a section in the lake, to day was a first, the No6 section slid out, into the lake and disappeared, a prod round with my longest landing net handle and couldn't feel it, I carry a spare pole, so took the No6 out of there - an expensive day and the whistle was still best part of an hour away..... 

Three topkits, a shallow rig, one with a band and an identical rig with a plain hook for corn.

Started on the 55 turn feeder and in an hour had one liner and a skimmer, next hour out at 80 turns, with nothing to show for it, a couple of carp caught by peg 12, not on the feeder, he was fishing a bomb and T bag, the guy on 15 also had a carp on that - I couldn't follow suit, I had no T bags or PVA to make any.

Last hour I tried something different, bit the method off the short rod an set up a cage to fish GB/micros and corn on the hook to see if the skimmers were likely to com to the pole line. I had 12lb in the last hour - I should have fished it all three as 38lb won the section.

Onto the pole, 45 minutes before the pole match started I fed the 13m line ( I decided to just fish one line for the three hours) with GB/micros and corn, two rock hard balls so it wouldn't break up immediately.

On the start, I topped it up with a small ball of the same and dropped over it, I was getting indications and a couple of foulers, then I had a couple of decent skimmers and it went quiet, I topped up again and then had 5 decent skimmers in 5 put ins, whilst unhooking the last fish I saw a Crested Grebe diving over my bait, that seemed to put the skimmers off and I struggled to get them back.  I should have probably gone out to 16m, but it was getting windy and I wasn't sure I could.

I had a few small F1's and that was it, I heard there was a 20lb as the scales came up, knew I only had  about 15/16lb so tipped them back.  As it looks I would have improved on my 6th in section on the feeder, to 2nd on the pole, but it didn't matter, as the Bowl winner came from my section, so well done to Graham Wall.

A tough day, the weather treated us to extremes of a chilly wind, clouds, rain and a spell where the apricity was most welcome,  I enjoyed it - apart from the No6 sinking quicker than the titanic.


No comments: