Monday 15 June 2020

Viaduct Open Sunday 14th June 2020

Back again for the second of two days at the scenic Viaduct fishery.  I thought I'd learnt a bit from yesterday, but maybe not.....

The draw put me on 129, not a peg you'd complain about, so off I went, reasonably confident of catching a few.  With Trigger on 128 the other side of the spit, Steve Hutter opposite on 112 and Andy Power on 114, there was some stiff competition and that was just those I could see.

Another chat with the 'magic pellet' duo from yesterday... well a bit of banter really and I was setting up, simple really, a rig for the spit, where I really fancied to catch a few, long and short pellet rigs for depth, a shallow rig and I did set a rig for meat short, although it was more in hope than expectation, pellets were, I thought, going to be the bait for the day.

I did also get a waggler out of the bag and a lead rod, seeing as they'd come for the ride, I 'didn't expect to catch on the waggler, as the wind and water movement from the aerator were in the same direction.  The lead rod went away at the end unused....

Determined not to blow it at the start by being ebullient with the bait, I got some pole pots out of my bag <shakes head sadly, they should be reserved for winter> and started on meat short, cupping in 4 cubes.  This saw a couple of decent skimmers and one carp in the net, but it soon died off. I went long with pellets and had another fish, but a small one (4lb or so).  There were a few swirls, so I picked up the shallow rig and had three on that in 30 minutes, but it was hard work for little reward, they soon backed off.  I think where they are spread out a bit, they have soon realised they are being fished for again.

I had a look in the corner and the end of the spit, I had a decent mirror on meat and a tench, then a perch not far off 2lb, as well as smaller perch and roach - a sign there aren't too many carp there.  I was till confident the spit would come good and switched from nurturing my pellet lines gently, to trying to coax them a bit more - it works with Chub.....

Well, the coaxing didn't work, I didn't have a single bite from the end of the spit and I eked a few out of the corner, but nowhere near enough. I never felt there was an amount of fish in the peg.

I kept up my statement that there is at least 100lb off of every peg on Campbell in the summer, with 115lb odd,  but as time goes on, this is with fewer fish, when I first started fishing it the net limit was 80lb and that was 16 fish to a net..... put 16 in a net now and you could have nearly 200lb......

Another display by the fishing machine that is Andy Power, not sure if the fact that the angler on 113 packed up and went after 2 hours, helped out, but he probably didn't need that little bit of luck anyway.

Overall
1. Andy Power - 266lb 1oz - peg 114
2. John Gray - 245lb 13oz - peg 116
3. Martin Rogers - 227lb 14oz - peg 118
4. Dick Bull - 218lb 5oz - peg 121
5. Phil Hardwick - 197lb 12oz - peg 115
6. Paddy Curry - 193lb - peg 135
7. Craig Edmunds - 175lb 13oz - peg 128
8. Martin Preston - 169lb 11oz - peg 132
9. Steve Chant - 156lb 15oz - peg 123
10. Steve Hutter - 134lb 6oz - peg 112
11. Clive Barrow - 119lb 13oz - peg 119
Silvers
1. Nick Chedzoy - 44lb 14oz - peg 125
2. Kev Newman - 37lb 2oz - peg 124
3. Nick Ewers - 33lb 11oz - peg 127
4. Rich Studley - 32lb 14oz - peg 126
5. Steve Hutter - 31lb 2oz - peg 112

No comments: