Sunday 25 October 2020

Charlie Barnes Memorial, Acorn, Saturday 24th October 2020

 Charlie Barnes was a character, one of life's lovable characters who made an impression on the match fishing scene, from his days as a maggot farmer through to the end.  Match angling is poorer for losing Charlie and other characters like him.

I'm sure given the forecast, wind and rain for a change would see him laughing at us all sat there, but he wouldn't have shied off from a bit of rain.

The leaden grey skies were promising their worst, the surface of the lake was rippling with miniature waves, which would hopefully see the silvers feed, as this was a silvers match, Charlie loved silvers fishing and who can blame him.  I was a little disappointed to hear that F1's and Carassio's counted, but maybe I'd catch some.

I was drawn out peg 31, well can't say I was enamoured, it is a good peg, but no great silvers history.  I thought i'd be sheltered by the building behind the peg, but the wind had other ideas and had positioned itself to be blowing in a direction that ensured it evaded the building and swept around and past me.

Simple bait tray, maggots, casters, micros and soft pellets.  A rig to fish down the track with soft pellet, another for maggot and a rig for caster at the bottom of the near shelf, plumbing this line was tricky, as the float wouldn't settle because of the number of fish swimming into the line, but I feared they were the barbule sporting cousins of F1's......

Well, I won't torture myself or bore anyone with the unexciting details, it pissed down, the silvers in the peg we few and far between, with an hour to go I reckon I had 4lb and was getting a carp a chuck, so knocked it on the head early, headed off home, via Brockley Coombe Stores, where I snapped up some rib-eye steaks at half price.....best bit of the day.

Well done to Zoe on the win, showing Des the way to do it.  Hopefully I can do better next year.


1. Zoe Bartlett                                     27-07 p36

2. Des Shipp                                        25-12 p12

3. Ryan Shipp                                      17-15 p19

4. Dave Stephenson                           13-11 p22

5. Mark Bartlett                                   11-11 p2

6. Mark Bromsgrove                           11-09 p18

 

No comments: