Sunday 4 October 2020

Viaduct Silvers League Round 1, Sunday 4th October 2020

 

This seems to have come round quickly, leading up to this I was looking forward to some silvers fishing, but I wasn't looking forward to the weather, the Met Office were promising rain all day....

Matt drew me 102, no complaints, it should be worth a few a few fish, 101 was not in and I had Trigger for company on 103.  I set up a small cage feeder and a waggler and never used them, so I won't mention them again.

Four pole rigs, one quite optimistically for meat, scaled down from my usual carp rig, a 18 Kaizen to 0.12 for 6mm meat, another rig for expanders, a rig to fish caster or maggot and a Chianti, with strung out shot to fish caster through the water. All of these had 0.10 and a 18 or 20 Guru F1 hook.  Luckily the wind wasn't too strong and I was under an umbrella - I don't use one often, but was glad of it today.

I started on meat at 6 joints, after feeding 2 balls of GB and caster at 13m, had three bites that I didn't connect with in 20 minutes, so switched to the light caster rig off the end of the tree, in 10 minutes I had a ruffe and a tiny roach, so wasn't convinced that this was going to be productive.

30 minutes was enough time to wait and it was time to get out to 13m and try dad maggot over the GB.  I had some hand sized skimmers, before one a bit bigger, all the time the rain kept coming and I was really starting to wonder why the hell I was here.... 

I managed to get short runs of two or three fish, before they backed off, including a 3lber.  I did try a second line with micros and expanders, but this was really slow and smaller fish.   With 2.5 hours to go I had to get up for a wee, getting back on the pallet I slipped (the pallets at Viaduct can be very slippery when wet) straight into the lake.  

The worst bit was the horrendous cracking sound, I initially thought I'd fallen through my pole and an irreplaceable Normark rod, once I got my self sorted and hauled myself out of the water, I realised the cracking sound was my ripple bar mounting breaking, the pole and rod seem to have escaped any damage.

The rest of the match wasn't the most comfortable I have fished, wellies full of lake water, I may have well left my bib and brace in the van how wet I was under it.  I think it made me slightly 'lazy' and I tried to keep one line working, where I thing another, maybe even a feeder line might have given me a few more fish in the quiet spells, also not convinced I fed enough, as I switched to caster from dead maggot and was getting slightly better fish on them.

I wasn't too disappointed to hear the all out, even though I had a nice day on the fishing front, the weather and the dip weren't so good.  Well I was well beaten by Trigger on the next peg, but as he framed I had the section by default.  Roll on the next round, lets hope it's a bit drier!!!


1. Dave Burns - 59lb 10oz - peg 78

2. Clint Wojtyla - 57lb 3oz - peg 96

3. Craig Edmunds - 56lb 14oz - peg 103

4. Bob Gullick - 55lb 4oz - peg 77

5. Chris Fox - 39lb 4oz - peg 102

6. Joe McMahon - 37lb 10oz - peg 99






No comments: