Saturday 31 July 2021

Open, Acorn, Saturday 31st July 2021

 One of my matches at Acorn today, with the optional series alongside.  Had a few drop out, and they let me know, but two no shows on the day put the numbers down to 17, at least it meant plenty of room for everyone.

I had the last but one ping pong ball out of the bag, 21, not the peg it was, I have won from it in the past, but wasn't convinced that it was a good draw today.  I set up topkits for across - banded pellet, down the edge, one for the near shelf and also one for the bridge, to fish against the middle stanchion.

Started across with banded pellet, I had two bites, one small carp (less than a lb) and one similar that fell off at the net and that was it, there really didn't seem to be any fish over there. I fed groundbait and dead maggots to the bridge and slowly started to catch a few tench and skimmers, with the odd carp thrown in. 

I did feed the margin, but that wasn't any more productive than the farside, so I just concentrated on the middle of the bridge, I had to feed a ball of GB after every 2nd fish or the bites dried up.  I knew I had no chance of catching enough carp, so settled for fishing for silvers as the only chance of pocketing some coin.  It worked out a good decision and I won the silvers, so a pick up when otherwise I would have gone home empty handed.

Bit tricky to call the optional series placings yet as there are only three matches gone, but it's difficult to see past Martin Rayet who has won all three matches so far.  Best 4 of 6 to count in the series.








No comments: