Sunday 13 March 2022

Ivy House Winter League, Final Round, Sunday 13th March 2022

 Commented to Tony, as we had a very nice breakfast in the Wessex Flyer, that I couldn't think of any other time neither of us had picked up in a league and today was the last chance, Tony was on Heron, myself on Old Match Lake.

I drew peg 8, the wind was once again going to make things tricky (when hasn't it lately), I made a decision to just get 11m of pole out and set up a bomb rod and a waggler.  Bait tray was pellets, corn and a few dead maggots, no point messing around.

Plumbed up a line at 11m pretty much straight in front, the peg shallows up in a steady slope from the aerator on the left hand side,  Another two lines at 7m, one where I intended to feed 4/6mm pellets and the other where I put GB and dead maggots.  Also the margins either side were plumbed and a suitable area found either side.

The wind as predicted was a pain, I tried the waggler several times, but it wasn't right, so no more to say about it.  I started on the 11m line and had one skimmer after 40 minutes, I'd fed micros and 4mm pellets, fishing an expander over them.  I switched rigs and dropped 3 maggots over the GB line, nothing, over the line where I'd only fed pellets and had a carp almost immediately, that was the only bite from either of the short lines.

I spent the rest of the match alternating between bomb and corn over to the island and the 11m line, it was impossible to get more than two bites from one line without then resting it, I ended up with around 8lb of skimmers, a tench and 34lb carp, that was enough to win the lake, left it too late to save the league, but a little pride salvaged.

No comments: