Sunday 6 March 2022

Acorn Open, Saturday 5th March 2022

 Penultimate open of the winter format (50/50 payout overall/silvers), 14 booked in, still a bit disappointing, but an improvement on the last match, hopefully we'll see the numbers pick up again for the summer opens.

Lots of activity at the fishery today, they have opened up as a collection/distribution point for aid to Ukraine, so we had to park up and walk round to pegs etc. so no vehicles coming and going were obstructed, thanks to all fishing as there were no moans and groans, I think all appreciated the good work being done,

I tried to peg it to give everyone a chance of either carp or silvers and had the last ball in the bag which saw me on peg 21.  Its been a bit up and down, I've won from it before and also bombed out on it, I thought I'd start for carp, but if they proved elusive, I set up to fish for Tench against the bridge.

Started across in 18" of water, tight to the bridge, had one carp around 8lb, then lost one and that was it, not another indication over there. kept pinging a few maggots over and  trying it, but not so much as a liner.

I'd set up a silvers rig for fishing over some GB I'd fed down the track, I missed two bites, first two drop ins and never had another indication over it - odd.

The deepest part of the peg is in the middle, against the bridge, come back about 12" and the slope starts.  Two rigs, one a 4x12 with strung 10's and a 4x14 Des Shipp maggot with a bulk and 1 dropper, 0.11 and 0.13 hooklengths respectively, both with a 20 Kaizen kook - what a fantastic hook this is for winter fishing, shame they don't make it in a 22.

  I like to fish these pegs just up the slope, no exception to day, that's where I started and apart from the occasional look over the other lines (including down to the pallet of peg 20) it's where I stayed, as whilst it wasn't frantic, I was getting bites, three skimmers, a hybrid, a small perch and around fifteen Tench from 4oz to 3lb.  Nice days fishing, they wanted some feed, not huge amounts but had to keep 20-30 magots going in fairly regularly, luckily, I could feed the line accurately by hand.  A couple more carp near the end from the same line saw me win my third open in a row at Acorn, taking top spot in overall and silvers with 27.04 silvers and four carp for 15.14 which is quite a relief after the poor showing in the Winter League.

As the winter format is 50/50 payout, I took the overall money, with Russ Peck proving his consistency by coming second, the silvers payouts went to Paul Faiers and Rich Major.




 


No comments: