Saturday 2 April 2022

Acorn Open, Saturday 2nd April 2022

 Last of my winter format opens today and the weather joined the party with a hard frost overnight, giving it a wintery feel.

I run an optional series alongside these open matches, just to add a bit of interest to those who are likely to fish them all.  I had already won the silvers series, but there were only two of us in that and it was very unlikely I'd be caught for the overall series, so at least a pick-up before I even started fishing.

I waited until the end of the draw and there were two pegs left, 11 and 9, Glenn drew 11, so 9 for me, it's been a consistent draw all winter, so no complaints.

Top kits for across, one for maggot and one with a banded hook for pellet.  Another for the nice flat area down to the pallet of peg 8 and a rig for open water, pretty much the same depth everywhere, so one rig would do all.

I was surprised by how much the frost affected it, it took me an hour to get a fish, I hadn't really set up to catch silvers as the carp should have been in the area, although usually you get indications/liners, but not today.

I persevered and switched lines frequently, I had a couple of decent carp in open water that went about 18lb, managing to get a few smaller ones and some skimmers which was just good enough for fourth on the day and 6oz out of the money be default.  Let's hope the warmer weather comes back soon!

1. Gareth Boycott. 64.11 peg 21

2. Paul Faiers  50.13 peg 33

3. Glenn Calvert 45.09 peg 11

4. Chris Fox 45.03 peg 9

5. Neil Morgan 43.02 peg 5

6. Chris Hamilton. 42.14 peg 6

Silvers

1. Paul Faiers 32.14 peg 33

2. Gareth Boycott 22.14 peg 21

3. Glenn Calvert 18.09 peg 11

4. Chris Hamilton 15.05 peg 6

No comments: