Monday 31 August 2020

Acorn 2 Dayer, Saturday and Monday 29th/31st August 2020

Saturday.

 21 fishing this 2 day event, given the rain and colder temps I brought some maggots, micros and corn, to accompany the usual hard pellets, I also had some paste, as it has been working on here.  

At the draw it was announced the match would on section points and then weight, I tried that with my two dayer on Viaduct and switched it to total weight, as it still gives you something to fish for on day two if you don't score good section points.

I was drawn peg 9, not a peg you'd complain about drawing, as it's the right end and is often in or around the frame.  It's less than 13m across, so a nice easy day, the lake was full right up, so I found about 18" across, not too deep, but enough I hoped to give them a bit of confidence to feed on the shelf.

There was another shelf about 3' deep a bit off the bank and I set another rig up for there. A rig for down the track, a rig for the margin which would do for both sides and a paste rig to fish at the bottom of the near shelf.

I thought I was going to have an easy match, as whilst it took me 15 minutes to get  a bite, but I then started catching reasonably regularly across, toss potting 4mm pellets with a 6mm in the band.  I had purposely not got a catapult out, as I wanted to give the potting a go with my usual resorting to the catty.

After 3 1/2 hours it started to die off, so I did get a catty out and that seemed to revive the peg for another 30 minutes, I had about 120lb or so, I then went an hour without a fish, tried the edge, down the track and back across, all to no avail.  

I switched to paste and this brought a few better fish in the last hour, but I had to sit and wait patiently for a bite, it was far from manic.  At the all out, I knew I was behind several I had seen catching, that penultimate hour was expensive, I ended up 5th, but was beaten by 3 in the section, so that's the end of that then.......


1. Sean Wilson                                    241-10 p38

2. Martin Rayet                                   225-05 p5

3. Mark Walsh                                    199-04 p6  

4. Kevin Perry                                     166-09 p1

5. Chris Fox                                        160-06 p9

6. Craig Chalingsworth                     154-11 p34


Monday.

Only a section to fish for and when I was handed peg 13, I knew it was a waste of a day.  Still there was always the challenge of trying to beat as many of the better pegs in the section as possible and to try and better where the peg finished on the first day (last but one in the section).  Mark Broomsgrove summed it up, "you'd run to that peg......................... in the winter!"

I got it into my head that the RH edge would be good, I could draw fish from the corner.  Also that I'd catch shallow across, if I couldn't catch on the deck.


Plumbing up I found the RH and and across was deeper than I'd like and across there was no mudline, nowhere to pull a pellet up the bank.

I should have brought casters (both days) my reliance on pellets didn't help as plenty of fish were caught on caster over the two days.  I was still shaking my head at Martin Rayet, drawing peg 5 both days, how do some people draw like that????

I haven't got much to say, it was a real struggle, whilst I watched Paul Nichols on 11 catching across on the shallow shelf, I had a 2lber and a 4 ozer across, and 75lb of better fish mainly down the LH edge (it was shallower).  If it had been a normal open, I may well have been wheel spinning out of the car park well before the end.  I managed to match the first day result of the peg and limp it home last but one in the section, as peg 3 was last both days.

Well done to the framers

On the day

1. Martin Rayet                                     215-04 p5

2. Sean Wilson                                     199-14 p33

3. Mark Broomsgrove                           194-11 p6

4. Paul Nichols                                    194-00 p11

5. Lester Grant                                     149-12 p9

6. Mark Walsh                                      129-06 p21


Overall result

1 Sean Wilson 14 points  442-08

2. Martin Rayet 14 points 440-09

3. Mark Walsh  13 points 328-10

No comments: