Sunday 30 August 2020

Short Pole, Viaduct, Sunday 30th August 2020

 This should have been the final round of Tony Rixon's float only league, but ended up a short pole (top two + three) match.  Travelled down with Tony and stopped in the Brewers Fayre fro breakfast, not a bad breakfast, one tip, if you go in there, get your cutlery and drinks first....

I ended up near the back of the draw queue and plucked out 126, not the best of draws and I would have my work cut out to trouble the frame from there (that's code for another iffy draw 😉 ).

I set up rigs to fish meat and pellets, I did set up an edge rig as I had time, but wasn't convinced it would be worth it, these pegs don't often produce from the margins.I also set up a rig to fish pellets for skimmers.

Started quite negatively toss potting a few 4mm pellets in just trying to catch anything, but not much was happening, I kept at this and had one carp and a couple of skimmers in the first couple of hours, no one around me was catching much and I could see carp coming out on the other bank.

I switched to a shorter line (2+2) and started feeding/fishing meat, this brought a few decent skimmers and a couple of carp, I got off my box and made up some GB, fed that with dead maggots on the 3+2 pellet line and ended up alternating between that and the meat line to keep decent skimmers coming reasonably well, and a beautifully conditioned 15lb common.

It was an enjoyable day topped off by a silvers win, with 42.03, which I think was the best I could have done from that peg, I am pretty sure the peg wasn't worth the 200lb+ needed to make the top 4.

Well done to Neil Mercer, but I would like to borrow his drawing arm!!



No comments: