Saturday 15 August 2020

Barston Masters, Barston, Saturday 15th August 2020

Good drive up, only one slight moment of stress, opening the restaurant door in the clubhouse to see it deserted and kitted out for a wedding - had I messed up and was going to go hungry - no, panic over, breakfast being served in the bar, so that saved me having a magnum from the ice cream fridge in the pro-shop for breakfast.

Nigel and his misses did the rolling draw and I ended up on 71, on the dam end of the lake and a first for me being that far down the lake.


I had come prepared to fish for the small skimmers should it be necessary, after my experience a couple of weeks ago, but.... there were loads of carp moving, so I managed to convince myself that I would need carp to qualify.  The peg is narrow and the footpath is right behind, so I didn't fancy shipping a pole back across the path and then be stressing about the cyclists and walkers, that meant I had the waggler as my main line of attack, with a method and a bomb to fish the same area as the 8mm pellets were landing.

I saw a couple of fish swirl close in, so I did set a margin pole up, to fish the RH edge and to fish at 6m.

Not much more to say, a big mistake, I never had a bite on the waggler, the bomb or the method, the fish disappeared after the start and never came back.  I managed a F1 and a few skimmers on 6mm pellet when I had a look on the pole, the guy to my right fished GB, squatts and maggots to win the section with 43lb, well done, I was completely turned from my plan by the sight of so many carp....

Didn't get a picture of the weighboard, I was in the van before the scales turned up......  No one to blame except myself, should have fished for skimmers from start to finish.

1st Daz Daz Staley  146.8 lb

2nd Adam Rose 115lb

3rd Rob Upex 87.2lb

sections

1 RobUpex   87.2lb

2 DanCoss and Richie Edmunds 50.14lb

3 DarrenCox 55.4lb

4 Steve Beard 62.6

5 Andy Leathers 71lb

6 Dave Boyle 43.6lb

7 Chris Vandervleit 35lb

8 Daz Stayley 146.8 lb

No comments: