Monday 26 September 2011

Costcutter @ Landsend, 25th Sept 2011

This blog entry is little more than a tale, nay, admission that I'm a stubborn idiot.

My record at Landsend is by anybodys evaluation, poor, I've pretty much made up my mind to only fish for silvers when I go to Landsend. This match was no exception, so what peg did I draw, bloody 19, the best carp peg on the venue. Plenty of good advice from anglers who I would normally listen to and trust, today, my stubborn streak chose to totally ignore advice from the likes of Trigger and Alan Oram -"you'll struggle to get through the carp". Of course I'd find a way to catch quality silvers, why wouldn't I?

So, I started short on the caster, this produced a couple of tench and a few small roach, before the carp moved in, so out to the 10m devils spawn line, more bloody vermin, infact in the first hour I foul hooked and lost 7 or 8. The next two hours saw a similar tale of foul hooked carp and I was at the point of trying to find an old gypsy peg seller to put a KHV curse on them.

The last three hours I gave up and fished the paste (which I had to try and make up from some pellet), I still fouled some, but I landed 12, that gave me 60lb and a pretty poor 6lb of silvers. If I hadn't been so stubborn and determind to 'beat' the carp, I could and should have won the match, but Landsend seems to be my bĂȘte noir.
Although I readily admit to fish for silvers for half the match today was a shite decision. Not much more to say, except to all those that said "I told you so", you were right.

1) Craig 'Trigger' Edmunds 101.02. peg 24
2) Paul Elmes 90.15 peg 9
3) Dave Westcott 84.00 peg 33
4) Scott Puddy 75.02 peg 40
5) D Pither 67.02 peg 21
6) Chris Fox 66.06 peg 19

Silvers

1) Tom Thick  30.00 peg 15
2) Matt Tomes 21.08 peg 1

I went to Plantation today (Monday 26th) to try a few things out in readiness for next weekends two day festival. I was told that the method would be deadly, as I have never done this I took the couple of method feeders that I've got free via the angling press to try, I managed 45 minutes before throwing it up the bank, not to touch it again - I won't be taking it the weekend. After this I started trying for silvers, but got carp'd out again, settled on fishing for them and had 150lb without trying. Its amazing how the 'proper carp fishermen' keep on saying - "he's got another" "everytime he goes out he gets one", but they can see that I'm catching shallow, but they still sit, biteless, on their lead rods.

One more practise session this week to squeeze in before the festival on Saturday, next time I'll take some waggler rods, which I purposefully left at home today. If I get a carp peg in the festival, I certainly won't be fishing for silvers........

4 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

it didnt take you long to figure out that it was cheaper to buy 2 copies of the angling times times for the feeders did it, at least you didnt get them off e#x* lol

Chris Fox said...

It would be sad day I bought an angling times for the shitty free gifts........
In fact it's gone down hill so much, it's just a sad day to buy the angling times!!

Faith said...

you will get pegged in the bay come Saturday and Sunday, you always do!!! cheers Glenn

Chris Fox said...

No doubt.....