Wednesday 5 October 2011

Viaduct Open, Weds 5th Oct 2011

Choice of Viaduct or contribute to Tony Rixon's pension fund at Landsend, given my dismal failures at Landsend, Viaduct was the obvious choice. With the All Winners Silvers final coming up, I did consider fishing for silvers, but decided to leave that for the Thursday costcutter. So an all out carp attack was planned for today, I drew 110, a good draw, but today I thought that the lack of ripple (which most of the rest of the lake had) might make it tricky.

I set up a waggler rod, I also set up a lead rod both with 0.17 hooklengths and 16 PR36 hooks. The pole rigs were one for meat short on 0.18 with a 0.16 hooklength and a 18 TXR7 hook. A MW pea for shallow and a MW slim power for full depth. I also set up a MW dinky for the margin, which remained unused, so no more to say about it.

I started on the waggler, feeding towards the middle of the lake and towards peg 135, I also fed meat at 6m and some 6mm pellet at 12m. I had a couple of fish on the waggler straight in front, but it was slow going and the fish that usually show in front of 135, weren't. I had a look over the 6mm pellet and had one fish and a few liners, that saw the shallow rig put to use, but to no avail, not a bite. An early look over the meat line at 6m produced one 8oz skimmer and one carp.

Back on the waggler and a sideways flick was required to get the float to the brambles next to 135 (because the tree to the left of 110 is now overhanging the natural line to get straight cast ) a run of a few fish showed that the cast needed to be tight to the bank, but the wind was frustratingly pulling the float away from the bank. This slowed down the catch rate, so with an hour or so to go, I dropped back in on the meat line and had 3 fish in 3 put ins - sussed it, well no, that was the end of that action. Back on the waggler and a couple more fish in the net. I'm pretty sure the lack of ripple, combined with the skim pulling the waggler cast me, as I didn't think my 23 fish would be enough - so it proved, missed out on a pick up (section money) by one (yet again). The lack of silvers didn't help, one 8oz skimmer, most others had 8 or 10lb at least to go with their carp. At least it was a good days fishing and some food for thought  - did I not swap between lines soon enough, should I have fed more? Many questions to ponder.

1) Will Bohne 163.15 peg 123
2) Keith Masheder 154.10 peg 125
3) Andy Neal 148.13 peg 129
4) Charlie Barnes 145.11 peg 116 (Not a silver in sight)
5) Jamie Dyte 139.13 peg 131
6) Chris Fox 136.01 peg 110

Silvers

1) Jim Baines 40.01 peg 127
2) Tim Pallant 37.07 peg 118
3) Keith Masheder 30.13 peg 125

No comments: