Wednesday 16 November 2011

Viaduct Match & Lodge Lakes, 16th November 2011

My mum told me never to accept lifts from strange men, I went against her advice today and took up Tony Rixon's offer of a lift. His passenger has to buy the breakfast and we stopped at the most expensive place on the way down...... Well, I guess I would have if I was driving!! It actually made a nice change not to drive, feel free to offer again Tony.

I was looking forward to a draw on Match Lake, having seen the weigh in from last Sundays match on there, as seems usual with my luck lately, I drew on the clear and cold looking Lodge, peg 60. I didn't think that the fish would come too close in, given the clarity and I had Fabio (who is known to curse and chat to himself, like Gollum). We thought we had an empty peg opposite, but Steve Kedge turned up and filled the vacant peg.

Two waggler rods set up, one with 3lb mainline and a 0.12 hooklength with a size 20 808, second rod with 4lb to a 0.14 hooklength and a 18 63.13. A skimmer lead rod with 3lb reel ine and a 0.10 hooklength with a 20 808 completed the rod & reel set up. I was inclined not to set up a pole, but as I was ready with 40 minutes to go, I set up two rigs to try and catch skimmers over groundbait at 14m. One soft ball of groundbait with caster & dead maggot went in at 14m on the all in, I then started on the waggler and caster, this produced very little, and what it did produce was very little in size, micro roach. After 25 minutes I dropped in over the groundbait, this was obviously what the little roach wanted, as every put in resulted in one of them taking either single or John Green on 62 started to catch decent silvers on the waggler and caster, but I just couldn't get them to move the two pegs and take my caster. I could see Kedgie opposite struggling, as was Fabio on peg 60. Shepton Mallet wannabe Gigolo, Tom Thick was also struggling on 55.

In desperation I started on the feeder, to try and get the skimmers, second chuck I had a 10lb+ carp, safely landed on the 0.10. The feeder also produced micro roach, I tried corn to get away from them, that meant no bites at all!! Back on the feeder and double maggot and at last a decent skimmer, but by now it was too little to late. Fabio had started to catch carp from under the tree to his left, landing 6 and losing 6. This was enough to win him the section, as my travelling partner for the day managed 19lb from peg 64. My one carp and meagre silvers went 15lb odd.

1) Lee Werritt 92.03 peg 53
2) Andy Lloyd 57.07 peg 52
3) Phil Harding 55.06 peg 60
4) S Scribbled Name 50.10 peg 50
5) Mike West 46.13 peg 52
6) Clint W 45.05 peg 48

Silvers

1) Rich Coles 41.14 peg 47
2) John Green 36.06 peg 62
3) S Scribbled Name 27.00 peg 50

Most fancied the match lake and with 5 weights over 40lb, it proved the best for a days fishing. Biggest shock of the day, seeing Mike Nicholls in the Bear Hotel, where the breakfast is a wallet emptying £6.95, although, it is a decent, help yourself set up. There must have been a half price voucher in the Saga magazine...... Also where does he get this ability to pre pick his pegs? I asked him before which peg on Lodge he'd fancy, he said, 53, or 66 as the wind blowing into 53 might not be good, being Easterly - yep, he drew 66......

No comments: