Wednesday 23 November 2011

Avon Angling Open, Avalon, Wednesday 23rd November 2011

I typed this out on my ipad, then either touched or pressed a screen command that promptly wiped the page clean, bloody technology.......... So back to the trusty keyboard and Windows.

I thought I'd have a change of scenery and book into this one at Avalon, where I've had varying success and failure. Into the draw bowl and out comes 29, so a quick drive up to the top car park and I found Nigel Bartlett on 27 for company and Martin Lengahan on the form 24 corner peg.

I was determind to keep it simple, so set up the trusty waggler rod to fish caster at the bottom of the island shelf, a lead rod - just in case it kept going round..... It didn't even twitch, so no more to say about that one!! And three topkits, two with pink Vespe 0.14 / 0.12 for skimmers, one with a MW Diamond and a 16 63.13 for Devils spawn and the other had a Carpa Chimp and a 18 Carp Maggot. The white Hydro kit had a rig on 0.16 to a B960 for banded pellet. At the all in, I cupped in a few micros at 14m and fired a couple of 8mm's to the island, finally some caster to the bottom of the island shelf.

I started on the lead rod, just in case there was a queue of hungry carp wanting the 8mm pellet - there weren't. The caster was as unproductive today, as it has been far too often in the last few matches, so it was time to drop in over the micro's with a 4mm Devils Spawn. This resulted in a couple of skimmers, but nowhere near as quick as Nigel was catching on 27. I switched back to and persevered with the waggler, but wasted too much time on it, as caster yielded only two fish and single or double maggot invariably saw a 1/2 oz rudd snaffling the bait.

A breeze got up and thinking the ripple would improve the skimmer fishing, I reverted back to the soft pellet, the ripple seemed to have totaly the opposite effect than expected and I struggled to catch whilst it affected my peg.  Once the wind dropped and the lake regained its flat calm surface, I had a reasonable last hour, although my failure to drop down from the pink vespe, cost me some lost skimmers.

Soft pellet really seems to be the bait to catch skimmers on this lake, if only I was any good at it or could get the feeding sussed.  At one stage I lost a cople of big skimmers that I 'd foul hooked, they seemed to be sitting 2'-3' above the feed, I fed a few 4mm's and stopped feeding micros's, that stopped me fouling the big skilmmers, but reduced the size of the ones I did catch.

Tricky stuff this Devils spawn fishing, although it seems Shepton Mallet Socialite, Tom Thick has it sussed, as he's used it to take top silvers and second spot overall, behind Trigger who put together a very creditable 90.06 to win. Nigel Bartlett's persistance with the soft pellet saw him take the silvers coin by default and I took second silvers coin by default, third in the silvers seems to be a regular spot for me now - must try harder, as my school reports always used to say.

1) Craig Edmunds 90.06 peg 19
2) Tom Thick 69.02 peg 9
3) Kev Molton 53.04 peg 13
4) Tony Rixon 52.07 peg 11
5) J Thompson 32..12 peg 3
6) Martin Lenaghan 24.09 peg 24

Silvers

1) Tom Thick 39.15 peg 9
2) Nigel Bartlett 24.04 peg 27
3) Chris Fox 14.06 peg 29


One last thought for this blog entry, has Tony Rixon got a feminine alter ego? Or is Toni just his Tranny name.....
http://www.avalonfisheries.co.uk/moors.html 

There's no place to hide on the interweb...

No comments: