Thursday 7 March 2013

Acorn Tuesday Tenner, Tuesday 5th March 2013

A Tuesday off gave me the opportunity to get down to Acorn and have a look at the pegging with Paul for the Pole Series which starts this coming Sunday, also to fish it, which I haven't done for a while.  I was planning on targeting the silvers, partly because this year seems to be going like last winter, I might as well leave my carp keepnet at home for the use it gets.

20 fishing today, I drew peg 1, the first time I have ever drawn over the bridge on the island, for company on peg 3 I had Glenn Bailey.  We had the task of breaking the ice before starting, we both cleared nice channels right to the far bank, but not long before the all in, the ice moved around closing up the channels, but not for too long as it soon melted.

I set up two rigs, one to fish up the second shelf at about 2' 6" deep, one at full depth.  I had decided on a maggot/pinkie/caster approach, with some groundbait.  One small ball of groundbait fed on the full depth line, with 6 pinkies and 4 casters in to start with.

It took an hour and a half to get a bite, which was a small skimmer, I then had 3 more in the next three quarters of an hour, I topped up the ground bait and that ensured I waited nearly another 2 hours for a bite.  I had fed a couple more lines left and right down the track and close in, just with maggot, these produced nothing.  I wasn't alone, Glenn was struggling on peg 3, although we were getting pretty pissed off watching Mike Owens and Mike Chapman either side of the bridge catching regularly.

I ended up with 2.10 of silvers, Glenn did get a couple of carp, but our pegs seemed devoid of fish for most of the match. Not sure I learned much, except to reaffirm that winter fishing is peggy and if they aren't in front of you, or just won't feed due to the water temperature, you can't catch them.

1. IAN COLE - PEG 5 - 49LB
2. MIKE OWENS - PEG 34 - 44LB
3. MIKE CHAPMAN - PEG 33 - 38LB 14OZ
4. EDDIE WYNNE - PEG 6 - 38LB 6OZ
5. DAVE WRIDE - PEG 16 - 34LB
6. M POPPLETON - PEG 12 - 24LB 1OZ

SILVERS
1. ANDY GARD - PEG 8 - 12LB 3OZ
2. G ETHERIDGE - PEG 38 - 7LB 7OZ
                                                  

No comments: