Friday 18 April 2014

Trinity Waters Good Friday Open, 18th April 2014

The usual cheery welcome from Misha and Tom, with the added bonus of an easter egg for each angler, a nice thought and typical of the friendliness of this family run fishery.

A 20 peg sell out, leaves a bit of room for most anglers so I wasn't to bothered where I drew, but certainly wasn't upset when peg 32 came out of the draw box.  Next peg to my left was peg 2, so a bit of room and the other side, 31 was the golden peg.

This match was a pole only, so that saves taking wagglers.  Sticking with my intention to keep it simple, my bait tray consisted of 4 tubs, 6mm & 8mm meat and hard pellet.  I intended to try and kick start the long pellet swim with a couple of balls of groundbait, some Marukyu 131 I had left over from my trip to Barston.  So a 14m pellet line, a 5m meat line and a margin rig, as I had time I also set up a shallow rig with a NG float I hadn't tried before, that Nick Gilbert had sent me as a trial. This still remains unchristened, as I only had roach bites shallow and didn't hook one.

The meat line was virtually as deep as the long line, so a 0.4g MW diamond for that and a 0.5 MW Pinger for the pellet line, an NG margin float on 0.20 to 0.16 with a 16 B911 completed rhe set up.  Starting on the long line with a banded pellet over the groundbait, pinging a few pellets at the float, saw a couple of decent skimmers come to the net, but a distinct lack of carp.  The lake seemed to be fishing quite hard, but it had been a cold night and the chilly wind was swapping direction continually.

I stayed put on the long line with hard pellet for over an hour, still without a carp to show for it, so a look on the 5m meat line was in order.  This produced a couple of skimmers, but seemed to be typical of the day, when a new line, or a rested line would produce one or possibly two fish and then appear to be devoid of fish again.

With half the match gone and one 5lb carp and about 8lb of skimmers in the net, I noticed some swirls and tails in one of the margins I had been feeding.  This was the margin closest to me, to my left, putting a bait in amongst the obvious signs of fish, did nothing, except make the fish disappear quicker than my misses can spend a paycheck.  I had also been feeding a margin into the bay of peg 33, this produced 3 quick carp, but this then also slowed down and I had to sit and wait for a bite.  This was frustrating, as I could see Kev Perry on peg 3 starting to catch consistently, with a larger stamp of fish.

I only managed one fish in the last half hour, they just weren't confident to stay in the margins as their companions got caught.  I had clicked 58lb and thought I had 8lb skimmers, which I knew wouldn't beat Kev and a lot of the rest of the lake was hidden from view by a bush.

I caught up with the scales to see Kev had weighed 79lb, there was an 81lb and the first weigh in I witnessed was peg23 which put 116lb on the scales. I knew those three had me beaten and so the scales confirmed, my 60.08 of carp and 8.15 of skimmers giving me fourth place and a section win.

1: Paul C.  116.03 peg 123
2: Stu 81.07 peg 8
3: Kev Perry 79.00 peg 3
4: Chris Fox 69.07 peg 32
5: Mick 53.04 peg 25
6: Rich Coles 51.05 peg 6

Silvers
1: Paul Locke 18.06 peg 15
2: Mark Walsh 14.13 peg 28

No comments: