Friday 17 October 2014

Viaduct Costcutter Open, Thursday 16th October 2014

19 fishing this match today, so Campbell and part of Cary lake used in the pegging, after Sunday's match I fancied a draw on Cary, the river bank or either side of Campbell, towards the river end.  I was first in the draw tin and out came peg 80, can't say it would have been my first choice and I was glad I hadn't come to fish for silvers, as it is one of the shallowest pegs on the lake.

Two lead rods set up, same as Sunday, one with a banded hook and one with a spike and four topkits, which comprised an AK47 on 0.20 to fish to the spit, the same rig would also do for the RH margin, two rigs to fish the open water, similar rigs, one with a band, one without and after Sunday's experience, I put a paste rig up and made up a small amount of paste.  Bait tray comprised 8 and 6mm pellets, some 10mm slices of meat for punching and a few soft pellets, for the spit, I had 2 pints maggots, groundbait and one tin of meat cubed up.

Starting on the lead, with an 11mm pellet on the hook, I hooked a fish after 10 minutes that ran into the end of the spit and broke an 0.20 hooklength with ease, so up to 0.22 with the replacement. Another 15 minutes before I had another bite and this one was netted, no more bites and only a very occasional liner for the rest of the first hour.

I had been feeding 6mm pellets at 6m, there was a little bit of activity there, so lead rod up the bank and out with a 4mm soft pellet, just to see what was there, it was a carp, just about double figures, but that was that, the shallow water seemed to stop them settling there, as it was very much feed and wait until a carp came along, two lost foulers were next, so I refed the line and back to the lead, trying punched meat.  This produced two fish in two chucks, before nothing again, a switch back to pellet saw a 1lb skimmer come to the net.

A switch back to the short line with paste produced a couple of fish, again having to wait whilst one turned up. I started feeding the spit at the halfway point, as well as the RH margin down to 79, the RH margin didn't produce anything and the spit was seemingly devoid of fish in the fourth and fifth hours.

The colour is dropping out of the water now, so a 16 and 0.18 on the margin rig, rather than the summers 0.20 and 14 hook. With an hour and five minutes to go, the spit starting giving me bites, worm being no good, 6 maggots being best, carp to 15lb and a couple of skimmers to 3lb coming every put in until the end, including, what seems now to be the obligatory F1, too late to push me into a envelope placing, judging by the bankside grapevine.

As it was getting near the end, I broke my usual rule of 5 fish to a net and put 6 and the F1 in one net, before having to start another, that cost me 5lb odd, as the net was over, it didn't make any difference to the overall placings, my efforts went 141.07, which was good enough for fifth on the day, if only the fish had come down the spit with two hours to go......

1: Dan White 246.07 peg 86
2: Dave Romaine 235.03 peg 81
3: P-Nut 197.03 peg 116
4: Scott Russell 161.04 peg 115
5: Chris Fox 141.07 peg 80
6: Martin Rogers 120.02 peg 128

Silvers
1: Gary Etheridge 36.01 peg 85
2: M Hanham 26.10 peg 123



No comments: