Wednesday 29 October 2014

Viaduct Open, Match Lake, Wednesday 29th October 2014

Traveled down today with Tony Rixon, we stopped and picked up Tom Thick on the way before a breakfast at Cannards Well, not bad at all and thoroughly stuffed after it.  10 fishing to day, so spread around the lake, at least peg 39 wasn't in so I couldn't draw that, its not been kind to me in the past.

I managed to draw 43, sandwiched between Tony on 44 and Giles Cochrane on the favoured 42, I intended to start on soft pellet in an attampt to catch F1's, skimmers and carp, so pumped some expanders and set up a 0.2 NG Gimp to fish it.  Plumbing up revealed nearly 12" difference between 8m and 14m, so another rig for 14m, which I hoped to catch on caster, also a shallow rig for caster and a margin rig for either side, but they were short margins.

I really struggled to get a bite on pellet, whilst Tony was catching well, Giles had a few fish on the shallow rig, but it wasn't frenetic for him and it was soporific for me. I switched to double dead maggot at 14m and had two skimmers, but that was it, all further attempts to catch at 8m or 14m were met with an inordinately long wait for a bite, which was then a razor blade skimmer.

The best bait by far was maggot over loose fed maggot and whilst the action remained slow, I realised that I was too far behind Tony to catch him and by now Giles was catching regularly down the long margin that is a nice feature of peg 42, so I wasn't likely to catch him either.  I had to decide that the only chance of picking up today was to fish for the one silvers prize on offer, so an all out silvers approach was the way I went and I slowly added some skimmers perch and roach to the net, as well as a few unwanted F1's and carp.

When the scales got to me the top silvers weight was Ziggy with 15lb odd, thankfully my switch to silvers paid off and I weighed 17.14 to take the silvers and qualify for next years silvers all winners final.  I caught most of my skimmers on my topkit just in front of the rushes to my left, I had tried a couple of lines with GB, but this seemed to be the kiss of death to the line both times.

So, apart from three DNW's I was last in the match, but one of only three to trouser some coin, as Paul paid the top two and top silvers, good decision making on a day I didn't fish well, until I switched.  Not much fishing for me in November as I am working for most of it, just the two series matches at Todber.

1: Dan White 177.08 peg 51
2: Tom Thick 134.05 peg 49
3: Giles Cochrane 132.02 peg 42
4: P-Nut 127.07 peg 40
5: Tony Rixon 123.11 peg 44
6: Ziggy 72.02 peg 47

Silvers

1: Chris Fox 17.14 peg 43
2: Ziggy 15.12 peg 47

No comments: