Sunday 12 October 2014

West Tackle Open, Viaduct, Sunday 12th October 2014

After a fairly torrid 6 days at work, I was ready to get back to fishing, it was supposed to be an open at Todber Manor, but that was cancelled, luckily there was a decent match at Viaduct, a 39 peg open on Campbell and Cary.  For company on the drive down I had Mike Walker, who was practising for the silvers all winners final next week.  I hadn't touched my gear since depositing it in the garage after last weeks Larford Lash, so I spent an hour or so on Saturday morning, getting rid of anything mouldy and putting a few pellets in the bait bag.

I did add some worm and dead maggots to the bait bag come Sunday morning, but it was simplicity for me today, the only other bait I had was some meat, in case I drew Campbell, that stayed in the bag, as out came peg 81.  As this peg had won the all winners final the previous Saturday, there were a few comments, but I have been going to Viaduct long enough to know it is a feast or famine peg, I had to hope it was still feast today.

I set up two lead rods, one with a shortish hair and a bait band, the other with a longer hair and a spike, as I had some 8mm and 11mm drilled pellets.  All this effort was in vain, as I had nothing, not a bite nor a liner on either lead rod, which was surprising, but the main body of fish seemed to be in front of 86 and across the lake away from me.

A waggler rod was taken from the hardcase, made up ready, that went back unused as the wind altered and made it a pointless ornament in the peg, rather than a useful fish catching tool.

So onto the pole rigs, initially just two, a margin rig to fish 16m along the spit (further than I would have gone, but the vegetation has grown since the last time I drew this peg, making any closer a non starter), this would also do tight to the bank against the concrete monk. The other rig, a basic pellet rig to fish banded pellet at 14m.

I started on the lead and as previously mentioned, a biteless, linerless half an hour ensued, before a switch to 6mm pellet on the pole at 14m brought a couple of fish to the net, but they were small by Cary standards.  Another look on the lead, as 86 and 87 were catching, nothing again, so back on the pole and whilst I had been sat on the lead, I put up a paste rig, this saw a couple of fish added, but it was slow going and I was 3 or 4 fish behind Adrian (Jefferys) on peg 86.

For the rest of the match I switched between the spit ( fish fell to maggot or worm) and the 14m paste line, picking off odd fish, including a 2lb perch from the spit.  On the paste line, it was classic bubble watching, as the carp bubbles got closer to the float, my anticipation rose and when the bubbles surrounded the float if it buried, a better stamp of fish was caught on it, sadly not enough.  The spit dried up towards the end, it was a little deeper than I'd have liked, probably due to the foliage stopping me getting tight to the bank.

The LH margin down to the monk, produced one carp, it was about 1oz, so a product of this years spawning, oddly I had an F1 from the spit, a repeat of the last time I fished the peg, maybe it was the same fish?

Behind me on Campbell, on 118, Mark Poppleton had been catching well and with Adrian Jeffery on 86 at least doubling my fish count and with some big fish, I guessed my best hope was for a section win.  Sadly for Adrian, he had 8 of Cary's munters in one net and that put him nearly 3lb over the 80lb net limit, costing him a win.   I tend to stick to 5 in a net on there now, unless they are unusually small, although I was surprised when my nets were added up, I had 20lb more than I had clicked, the size of the carp is so deceptive now.

My nets went 101.02 for a section win (next weight in section was 35.04, so a bit tough), that was only good enough for 10th on the day, but the section money kept this current pick up roll going, all being well, back to Viaduct Thursday for the cost cutter.  Travelling partner Mike just out of the silvers money, 4th with 18.00

1: Mark Poppleton 190.07 peg 118
2: Calum Craig 183.09 peg 112
3: Steve Southern 174.10 peg 87
4: Adrian Jeffery 133.02 peg 86 (and that with a net disqualified).
5: Ash (or HSH)? 126.14 peg 126
6: Steve Seager 122.12 peg 114

Silvers
1: Nigel Bartlett 32.09 peg 111
2: Bob Gullick 25.10 peg 85
3: Dick Bull 19.05 peg 125

No comments: