Monday 18 May 2015

MFS Two Dayer, Day Two. Saturday 16th May 2015

Cary for me today, it would have been good to get out with the boys that had a curry and a few beers in Yeovil last night, but I was glad I didn't feel like some of them looked..........

The tin of dreams beckoned and I fancied any peg with a decent margin, the fish seemed to be happiest in shallower water yesterday, so it was mixed feelings when 86 came out.  the wind was stronger today, so I set up two lead rods, two rigs to fish meat at 6m and a rig to fish the short margin down to the LH side.  I started on the meat short, hoping for a quick fish, which didn't happen, even with the chop on the water I could see some blowing and didn't have long to wait after the first chuck with an 11mm pellet for the tip to go round and one of Cary's 'Barney Rubbles' in the net, next chuck another and then a third..... how easy is this lead fishing!!!

The next couple of chucks were not so prolific, so a swap to a piece of punched meat saw the tip curl round and a big fish took line at a rate of knots, getting it in gave the 8lb Shimano Technium and the 0.22 hooklength a good test, which passed, as a nigh on 20lb fish was netted.  A lean spell followed, so a look back on the meat line, where there had been some bubbles, this was a frustrating spell, as I foul hooked and lost 3 fish, one hook pull, one snapped hook length and one snapped elastic - gutted one of my favourite MW floats vanished into the depths......

Back on the lead and I had what looked like a liner, when I saw a skimmer jump out of the water, it knew it was hooked before I did!!  In fact it was one of two immaculate condition bream I had on 11mm pellet. A couple more 'Barney's' followed on the lead, but it wasn't possible to keep fish coming from the same spot.  The wind was making feeding difficult, maybe a PVA bag of pellets might be the answer in that situation.

I had left the margin well alone, as its so short, aiming to fish it in the last couple of hours, I fed it with GB and maggot, first drop in with 7 maggots saw the float bury and a 15lber safely netted.  The margin wasn't full of competing fish, which isn't a bad thing when they are that size, I had 4 more over the next hour, but could hear Ben on 85 catching well down his edge too.  I then hooked a big common of 15lb+ that wallowed in like a skimmer, I touched it with the net, that woke it up and it swam off, shedding the hook as it went...... bugger.  One more from the edge before the all out and I thought I had at least the weight I had yesterday.

Ben weighed 221 and I didn't think I had that, so it proved, the lost common costing me dearly, as I weighed 207.  This was second on lake, fifth overall on the day and 4th overall for the two days, so not the worst result, but frustratingly close.  A good couple of days, good company and an awesome fishery, glad its only 50 minutes drive.

1: Jon Martin 238.09 peg 121
2: Mark Poppleton  225.06 peg 118
3: Ben Hagg 221.02 peg 85
4: Dan White 213.14 peg 114
5: Chris Fox 207.08 peg 86
6: Martin ? 198.07 peg 116

Silvers
1:Scott Russell 37303 peg 128

Overall

1: Ben Hagg 2 points
2: Mark Poppleton 2 points
3: Jon Martin 2 points
4: Chris Fox 3 points

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog, im just wondering how you fish the bomb at viaduct..length of hooklength, do you feed over the top and what sort of distance do you fish at? sorry for the questions but im trying to get into some match's and the viaduct is fairly local to me. Thanks

Chris Fox said...

I did a bit of a guide to Viaduct for someone coming down from Yorkshire, if you want to let me have an email address using the contact form at the bottom of the page, I'll happily send it to you.