Friday 1 May 2015

Viaduct Costcutter, Thursday 30th April 2015

I have been using the new Mossella keepnets since the Bait Tech Festival and they are an improvement on an already good product, they have been redesigned and are slightly smaller, this is a great help on venues where multiple nets have to be used. They seem to have retained the strength and hard wearing of the previous versions, the best nets I have used.

On to the fishing and after Sundays disappointment (I would have not considered that I'd be last in the section from 128) I was keen to get back to Viaduct and put things right in my head. 30 in for this match, so Campbell and Cary in, I was into the tin early and had 116 as my home for the day.  That meant another day with a cold wind blowing straight at me, although it was more left to right initially, but changed round to face on by the time the all-in was called.

Bait tray consisted 8mm pellets and 10mm meat, I also couldn't resist some dead maggots and a bit of GB for down the edge.  With the wind making it difficult to feed accurately at distance, the waggler rod stayed in the bag, I did set up a lead rod and gave that 25 minutes as far as I could fire 8mm pellets, one liner in that time saw it go up the bank and stay there.

4 topkits set up, a rig to fish 8mm pellet at 13m, two meat rigs for the 5m line, shotted differently to try something out and a margin rig, which would do to the 'point' on the RH margin and to a tree in the LH margin.  After the wasted 25 minutes watching a motionless tip, I switched to the pellet rig at 13m and first drop in had a skimmer, next put in a 5lb carp and that was that, no more bites, I switched the line to meat, feeding through a toss pot and this brought a couple of skimmers, but no sign of carp.

I switched to the 5m line and this was slow, but did produce a couple more skimmers and two tench, before finally, 3 carp in 3 put ins, but that was a false dawn again. Swapping back to the long line produced nothing again and I'd been feeding pellet and meat in the LH margin, that was also seemingly devoid of fish.

Persisting with the 5m line I did put a few fish together, but it wasn't hectic action, interestingly, I didn't catch anything on my usual rig, all the fish fell to my experimental set up and feeding via a toss pot. So food for thought and I need to try this out on a couple more occasions before coming to any conclusions.  With a couple of hours to go I fed GB and maggots into the RH margin and it didn't take long for the tails to appear, I waited 20 minutes and dropped in with 7 maggots on the hook and had 3 or 4 fish, but they were small, 3-4lb, before they disappeared, I re-fed it and went back on the 5m line, taking another fish or two, before seeing the tails and vortexes in the margin again.

Back in with the bunch of maggots and this time the proper edge fish had moved in, in the last half an hour or so I had 4, which were 9-12lb, I landed on with a minute to go and didn't have time to thread the maggots on, I put a piece of meat on, dropped it in and the float just kept going, another decent fish landed after the whistle.

I knew Dave Romain had been catching well on 114, he'd been catching up to the pallet of 113, Ian Parsons on 123 had been catching well down the edge, so I wasn't sure how I'd done, but it was better than Sunday, thankfully.  It had been hard work and constant changes to keep the fish coming, an enjoyable day.  As it panned out, my 138.10 was enough for 4th and Sundays woes banished to history.

1: Chris Rolfe 242.01 peg 96
2: Dave Romain 226.10 peg 114
3: Ian Parsons 149.12 peg 123
4: Chris Fox 138.10 peg 116
5: Tich Williams 135.02 peg 97
6: Shep 114.07  peg 85

Silvers
1: Paul Greenwood 54.12 peg 86

No comments: