Saturday 8 October 2016

Avalon Silvers League Round 2, Saturday 8th October 2016

I missed the first round, but luckily my old traveling and drinking partner Paul Faiers fished for me and won the match, so going into this round leading the league.

Going into the draw tub I wasn't too fussed where I drew, but end peg 34 would have been nice, that went to fishery owner Vic Bush, as someone drew him first peg.  9 stuck to my hand, it was just in one of the island gaps and I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't have a few of the venues skimmers and bream.

Trying to cover all bases, I set up a cage feeder and a waggler, they were both put away at the end unused.  3 Topkits, I got 4 out of the bag and was going to set up a rig for down the edge, but decided not to. A 0.6g rig to fish worm at 14m, a 0.4g rig to fish pellet/corn at 7m and a double bulk rig, which only saw the water plumbing up.  Finally, two whips, one at 3m and one at 4m both with little wire stemmed Preston floats on (PB4??)

On the all in I fed 2 balls at 14m to my left and 3 to my right, the RH side having a richer worm/caster mix than the LH side to see what happened.  A small ball of micros at 7m and then onto the whip whilst the lines settled.  I was catching straight away on the whip, but was up and down with the depth trying to find the fish. After half an hour the guy to my right on peg 7 was getting a couple of decent skimmers, so I had an early look over the worm lines, two carp later, I switched to the pellet line, this produced 3 tiny skimmers, no bigger than the whip fish.

I had a couple more looks over the worm lines during the match and kept them topped up, but had no sign of a skimmer. I kept plugging away with the whip line at 3m until about 15.0 when the bites dropped off, by now I was catching 6" deep.  A switch to the 4m whip and increasing the depth to 15" made a difference and the fish started coming again.

The time spent looking for skimmers proved to be costly, as my net of whip caught roach, rudd and perch went 19.01 for second on the day, behind Vic.   Just enough to stay in the lead, but its tight.




No comments: