Thursday 6 October 2016

Viaduct Costcutter, Thursday 6th October 2016

Just looking at the title of this blog page has me thinking how fast this year seems to be going and today was a reality check that summer is over and the weather is turning, a chill easterly wind blowing across Viaduct today.

Chatting to a few before the draw about fishing for silvers and I said I'd be happy with any peg on Cary, with the exception of 80 and 109, just as well I was trying to get in early for the 2017 all-winners and not fishing for silvers, as two tickets came out of the tin, I dropped one back in and opened the other to reveal 80.

80 is very shallow, all over, even chucking a waggler long saw it stood proud of the water, the same as it did at 5m, I did expect to catch long and with the wind pushing down towards 109, fishing a waggler too far past the spit meant fishing over depth and sinking the line, so reluctantly two lead rods out of the bag, both set up the same, except one with a pellet band on the hook and one with a spike to fish meat.

The waggler was one of the Middy Fat Boys, excellent loaded wagglers that cast well and the various sizes can be swapped without adjusting the shotting, a they all take the same shot, a well thought out range.

I got 3 topkits out, one for a margin rig to fish down to the pallet of 79, which would also do for 14.5m along the spit - this is also the deepest part of the peg!!  As it was the same depth at 5m, I didn't set up a separate meat rig, thinking the margin rig would do.  I also set up a 4x10 homemade float with a carbon stem to fish 6mm pellet at 14.5m as I wasn't convinced I'd last too long watching a tip.....

Starting on the waggler just past the spit saw 15 bite less minutes pass, before I picked up a lead rod, this too was biteless for 10 and I picked up the pole.  A 6mm banded pellet did the trick and first put in the float buried and 14lbs of Cary beast was stretching the elastic, that was to be short lived though and apart from a 1lb skimmer that was that for bites in the next 20 minutes.  Back on the lead and over the next three hours I had a few bites and fish on 8mm pellet, although the wind was making it tricky to get even the oversize Coppens Coarse 8mm's out to where the fish were.

With a couple of hours to go I fed the RH margin and the spit, before trying the 14.5m pellet line again, which gave up another skimmer, the RH margin did not produce a fish, so no more about that, the pellet line gave up another fish, not as big as the first.  I had been throwing meat in all day at 5m and saw signs of fish, including a huge tail, one of the 20's no doubt.  But every time I tried it, the signs of fish disappeared, maybe I should have set up a lighter rig with a bit more line between pole and float, but that's the beauty of hindsight.

First drop in up the spit with 10 maggots saw the float bury and a very angry 14lb common do its best to get round the spit, fortunately the Orange Vespe didn't stretch that far! Next drop in and the float dipped and then slid slowly away, a classic bream bite that turned out to be a 3lb bream.  A switch to double worm and a 16lber joined his 14lb cousin in the net, then a hybrid. Another sharp dip of the float saw another double figure fish hooked, this turned out to be one of the 'waddlers' it didn't run, didn't do much apart from keep some tension in the elastic and waddle its way in.  Frustratingly it waddled itself off the hook and cost me the match, my 156.06 being beaten by 119 who weighed 161.05.  Disappointing to fall short by one fish to qualify for the 2017 All- Winners Final, but it was a decent days fishing which needed some thought to keep them coming.



No comments: