Saturday 28 April 2018

Viaduct Spring League Round 1, Sunday 22nd April 2018

I travelled down to this one with Tony Rixon, no particular pegs to draw or avoid came up in the conversation, the warmer weather hopefully getting the fish spreading out from their winter hidey holes.

Well, I was disappointed with my draw, 124, I (and I'm not alone) think that its the weakest peg in the section (116 round to 126), but I still felt I could get a few fish from it.   The wind was off my back, making the fishing easy, but the fish seem to be following the wind now, so the other bank looked a bit more favourable with the wind pushing into it.

Waggler rod and lead rod were set up, pole rigs were simple and positive, a margin rig, a full depth pellet rig, a shallow rig and two meat rigs, one strung out and one bulk shotted.

On the all in I was confident I would get the usual mug fish or two on meat short, but the only bite I had on meat short was from a near 3lb tench.  By the time I waited for the bite and landed the tench, Dave Romain on 119 had 5 fish....  I swapped to the pellet rig at 14m and had a 7lb carp on that. but it was a bit of a loner, as that was the only fish on the line.  I tried the lead, nothing, the waggler, I had one bite on that, a 3lb carp and it was looking like I was going to get a very embarrassing weight.

I had loads of casters left over from Whiteacres and started dump potting them down the LH edge, going over them with worm brought a succession of fish, Bream, Tench, Perch and the odd Rudd, all decent fish and I was catching well, this was only ever going to be a stop gap though, as I had to get back amongst the carp to ensure I wasn't absolutely hammered into last place in section.  Getting amongst the carp wasn't much of an option as looking round the long and short lines, was a complete waste of time.

With 50 minutes to go I had 10lb on my clicker - the original two carp and 43lb in my head or the silvers net, when finally I had a decent fish about 14lb down the LH edge, then another about 12lb, also a couple on meat short, this gave me 108lb which was last but one in the section, so a dropper already..... Some great weights on the opposite bank, well done to those who had them.




No comments: