Sunday 27 September 2020

Ivy House Open, Saturday 26th September 2020

 No fishing last weekend, had a great few days camping in Cornwall.  

Today's match was spread over the canals and the match lake (Willow), I was unsure how it would fish, I had the frost warning light come on in the van once I got into the lanes near Ivy House.  I was drawn peg 45 by Andy, an area I seem to draw often.

I left the rods in the van, today would be a pole only attack - although I would take a negative approach at the start, rather than attacking the peg.  Rigs set up to fish right across, which is 16m on this peg, a margin rig and rigs for maggot short and long, finally a rig for soft pellet at 11m and a banded pellet rig.

Started by feeding some GB and maggots short and at 11m at 10 o'clock, then picked up the rig for soft pellet, feeding a few micros and an expander on the hook, this seemed to work and I had 4 carp for about 10lb in the first 30 minutes.  I had a look over the maggot line as it was fizzing, but not even an indication and this was a feature all match, feed some GB, lots of fizzing and no bites, I tried maggots, worm, corn and pellets over it.

From the anglers I could see I was holding my own and the soft pellet/micro combination was best, I did have a look across at 16m, but this produced one small F1 and one small carp, hard pellet was just not working.

I'd switched the short line to feeding maggots with no GB and with two hours to go had 40lb on my clicker and about 5lb silvers, I then hooked a big common - biggest I've seen in the canal - and played it for 10 minutes on my skimmer rig (0.10 and a 20 Guru F1 hook), I thought it was tiring and I nearly netted it, it went off again and the hooklength parted, I can only thon it was constant pressure/movement on the spade knot, as I didn't feel I had put more pressure on.

Frustratingly, after that I added only 11lb in the last two hours, not sure if playing that common through all the lines had upset the few fish that were there, seems unlikely to be honest.

I put 59lb on the scales for 3rd on the lake and 4th on the canals, managed to get a picture of the weigh sheets before they weighed the main lake, so not sure what come from there.  Not sure I could have had another 40lb from the peg to win the lake, but maybe if I had landed that common it might have been a different story.....



No comments: