Tuesday 22 December 2020

Acorn Winter League, Round 1, Saturday 12th December 2020

 Writing this after the event, I can't start without mentioning the shock and sadness I had when told on the Monday of the death of Lance Tucker, who I have know and fished under as a team Captain and against over many years.  Lance was a character, told it like it was, with a sense of humour, he fished this match and won the Clevedon FWAC Christmas match the next day, before suddenly passing away on the Monday.  RIP Lance and deepest condolences to Craig (his son) and family.

Onto the match, I drew (or should I say, had drawn for me) peg 15, usually a decent peg in the section, but given the results lately, I wasn't unconvinced that the peg the other end of the section wouldn't be better.

Quite a simple approach, rig to dob across - plumbed up at dead depth, so I could decide on the depth to fish the bread at the start, a rig to fish down to the pallet of peg 14 (same float) and two rigs for just up the far slope, one with 0.10 and a Guru F1 hook, one with 0.13 and a Kaizen hook, just in case it got good....

On the all in, I picked up the dobbing rig and took 4" off it, fish first put in and lost it - fouler, then one in the mouth, then a torrid run of foul hookers, 6 or 7 of them and only one more landed, I shallowed up a bit more during this time, before finally realising I'd picked up the edge rig, the edge was deeper than across, so I was probably in the deck with the bread all the time...... what a numpty - I blame not being able to go to the pub, staying home and rocking up to matches sober isn't all some crack it up to be!!!

That probably cost me the section, I struggled thereon in and finally had a tench a couple of silvers and a carp just up the far slope on maggot, but I wasn't confident I'd done enough and so it proved, with Paul taking the section from the peg I fancied and Kev on bridge peg 21 second.  So third place and it was down to my stupidity, lesson learnt, differentiate between rigs........






No comments: