Sunday 6 December 2020

Viaduct Silvers League, Round 4, Sunday 6th December 2020

 With the majority of the field praying for a draw on Cary, it was no surprise when I drew Campbell...... I wasn't unhappy with the peg, 127, it should be OK for points in the section, although sometimes 130/131 chuck up weights.

I set up a 3 square cage feeder, that went back into the holdall at the end unused, a waggler to fish corn and two pole rigs, one for roach short and one for skimmers at 14m.  Nice and simple then, F1 pellet hooks size 20 on both and 0.10 fluorocarbon.

Pretty standard tactics at the start, two lines fed with GB, one with caster and one with dead maggot, just to see if there was a difference, then onto the short caster line, this was soon changed to a pinkie line at 7 joints and by toss potting pinkies and GB in I could catch roach, small roach, but at least it was bites.

After about 40 minutes I had a look over the GB lines, nothing doing, I refed the caster line after an hour and went back to the small roach, they weren't queuing up, but it was better than no bites. An hour and 40 minutes I saw a couple of pin prick indications over the GB/caster line, it looked like the GB fizzing, but it was pretty inert, made the day before and had been in 40 minutes.  I picked up the skimmer rig and went out over the GB and it wasn't long before a 3lber was in the net, he was a lonesome soul though, as I gave it another 15 minutes without anymore bites.

I refed and looked over it again, I had another 3lber and a couple of roach, then hooked what I thought was a carp as it ran off, I shipped back rapidly, not concerned if it came off, then as I got down to the topkit, realised it didn't feel like a carp, I was some what relieved that it hadn't come off when  2lb+ perch came into view in the clear water and was even more relieved when it was netted.

A couple of smaller skimmers and roach completed the day and I was happy enough that my 14lb odd was enough to take the section and I think 3rd on the lake.

No weigh sheets, but the top 6 were

1. Greg Welsby - 44lb 4oz - peg 81
2. Des Shipp - 25lb 5oz - peg 97
3. Sam Powell - 22lb 3oz - peg 59
4. Paul Elmes - 21lb 9oz - peg 112
5. Jason King - 19lb 9oz - peg 111
6. Andy Power - 16lb 12oz - peg 103

No comments: