Saturday 10 April 2021

Acorn Winter League, Saturday 10th April 2021

 The delayed winter league started again today, the second round, it was still pretty winter like, so I was going to do my best to keep my paws out of the bait tub and off the catapult.  Only managed a section 3rd last round, so needed to improve on that.  On this league, it really is only the section that matters, as no overall money is paid out, just first and second in each section, which is a fair to do this, as the sections can be wildly different in the depths of winter.

Peg 38 was drawn for me, with three bridge pegs in the section I was wondering if I had my work cut out here to improve on the last round.  It was cold, but I still expected the fish to be in the shallower water, so a rig to fish across to the island shelf, one for the bottom of the shelf, one for down the track and one for the margins.  Bait tray was simple 4 and 6mm hard pellets, 4mm expanders and maggots.

I made sure I couldn't pick up the catapult by not getting one out, so it was a pot on the pole to start, went straight across with banded 6mm pellet and had indications and lost a fouler straight away.  Then had a fish fair and square,  I also tried a lie across with maggots and never had a bite on them... I had to feed to get the fish to come to the bait, but I wasn't convinced they were feeding properly, I swapped between the shelf and the bottom of the shelf to keep off fish coming and then I had a bit more activity on the shelf and was just going to get the catapult out, when the wind turned and the peg went flat calm.

I struggled to get a bite anywhere in the peg, so fed some maggots down to the pallet of 37, this brought 4 fish, nothing too big, but it kept something going in the net, had one more across just as the ripple started again, shortly before the all out.

Managed to put 62.15 on the scales for the much needed section win and that was third overall, with the top two weights coming from A section.






No comments: