Sunday 18 April 2021

Maesknoll Open, Acorn, Saturday 17th April 2021

 I am running an open a month at Acorn and have also made it an optional series, 18 fishing the first one of which 12 entered the series.  I tried pegging it with only one peg either side of the bridges, as they haven't been the fliers they once were.

Having done that, I waited until the last ticket was left in the bucket and ended up on 34 next to one of the bridges.  Having caught on hard pellet the week before, I fully expected to catch on it again, so set out my stall to fish banded pellet over and down the shelf.   A rig for maggot down to the pallet of 32 and one for pellet against the bridge.

After an hours without a fish I was regretting the decision to fish pellet and cursing myself, as on Friday I had meant to pick up some bread and forgot, Paul Faiers on peg 31 was catching dobbing bread.  I tried white maggots dobbed over, but not so much as a liner.

I fed some micros and fished soft pellet to the middle of the bridge, this was also a waste of time, I had been feeding maggots to the bridge by hand, so set up a rig to fish maggot at the bottom of the near shelf, a strung out rig with a 20 LWG on 0.11.  This brought bites for the rest of the match and seeing as I couldn't catch anywhere else in the peg, I stuck with it, to weigh 35.02 of silvers, just getting pipped by Des Shipp who had 37.15.

Didn't get a picture of the overall winner, Martin Rayet, so will have to make do of one of me and one of Des.

Thanks to those who fished and the next one is on 22nd May.









No comments: