Saturday 3 April 2021

Viaduct Open, Saturday 3rd April 2021

 Back to Viaduct today, drew 112, with 11 empty, so absolutely no complaints on that.

Same cold easterly wind as yesterday, similar set ups and had a 6lber second drop in short on meat, so was hopeful it would be a good day.  I then hooked a big fish on the short line, suspect it was in the 'wing' as it took off, jumped out like a skimmer and ran until the elastic bottomed out, I thought the 0.15 hooklength had parted when the elastic came back at a rate of knots, but the whole rig was gone - the elastic had cut through, I have been using the knot and bead method of attaching the line direct to the elastic for ages and never had a problem, I hate losing floats/rigs.

Out on the 11m line with pellets and the light rig, had a couple of skimmers and 3 carp on this in an hour or so, slow but not miles behind, then a foul hooker and to compound the earlier misery, this one took the rig as well the elastic parting, this time at the dacron..... I would have been upset, but by now I was chilled out by the amount of weed smoke I had inhaled from the carpers behind me on Cary....

I struggled for bites, trying the lead, waggler and long pole, but the aromatic herb smell was obviously keeping me mellow, I did have a a desire to get to the shop and buy half a dozen pasties to satisfy the munchies that were coming on.

With an hour and twenty to go I had 3 carp on the short meat line, along with a couple of skimmers and a roach that was at least 1lb.  I then had 40 minutes without a bite and wrapped up with 10 minutes to go, with about 12 or 13lb in the silvers net and 89lb on my clicker, so around 80lb tipped back, as I would be nearly last to weigh and I was sure I hadn't enough to pick up.

The carpers were packing up, so the free high was over, hoping I was OK to drive home, I disappeared before the results were in - wondering if I could drive past the chippy in Shepton as the weed fume induced munchies were still raging.....

Results from the Viaduct Match Fishing FB page and I'm wondering how I might get through a match tomorrow with no weed fog to chill me out....

Campbell / 21 anglers Overall 1. Mark Hayman - 153lb 4oz - peg 114 2. Dave White - 151lb 8oz - peg 135 3. Malcolm Bond - 148lb 11oz - peg 131 4. Phil Hardwick - 119lb 12oz - peg 116 5. Clive Barrow - 110lb 1oz - peg 132 Silvers 1. John Fuidge - 32lb 2oz - peg 123 2. Nigel Bartlett - 27lb 3oz - peg 126 3. Steve Denmead - 17lb 1oz - peg 128



No comments: