Saturday 19 June 2021

Ivy House Open, Saturday 19th June 2021

Back to Ivy House for an open on the Old Match Lake, found a diversion set up as the road through Sutton Benger was closed, bloody hell, it was a 10 or 12 mile detour, I was so late Karen rang me to make sure I was still coming to the match! 

Peg 2 for me today, with the temperature having dropped and the threat of some rain, I wasn't sure that 2 was a favoured draw, although there were a few blows and signs of fish, so I was hopeful that I could get a few out.

With the island well out of pole reach I set up a method and a bomb - neither of which were cast in , so that's them forgotten about - those rods must get fed up coming along for the ride, being set up and then put away again at the end unused..... 😀  Also a waggler rod.

Pole rigs were a rig to fish the edges, one for pellets at 5m and one for pellets at 14.5m.  Nice and simple.

Started at 5m with 8mm as sometimes this throws up a fish or two, it did today, but skimmers not the expected and wanted carp.  After 20 minutes I switched to the waggler and gave that a good go, but never had a bite on it.  

Onto the 14m line and again. skimmers in place of carp, with two hours gone I decided to switch to fishing for skimmers and set up a new line at 11m with some GB and maggots, it wasn't manic and I had to sit and wait for bites, worm was the best hookbait and the fish were all a reasonable stamp.  I did land 3 smallish carp that muscled in on the act, but was never pestered by them.

Even though the bites weren't coming that often, I had to feed after every one or else they dried up completely.  Never felt there were that many fish over the bait, as you usually get liners and indications when you have skimmers in the peg.

Come the end, it proved to be the right decision to switch to silvers, as two corner pegs took first and second overall and I don't think I could have got to their weights.

Enjoyable day and it didn't rain!




No comments: