Sunday 20 June 2021

Tony Rixon's Float Only R2, Shiplate Farm, Sunday 20th June 2021

 Shiplate Farm today for the second round of Tony's popular float only league, this is a lovely fishery near Weston-Super-Mare, right on the banks of the river Axe.

I was hoping for a draw on the main lake, big carp and a big head of skimmers, suits me perfectly. second to that, either of the two canals, what I wanted to avoid was the 5 pegs on the lake know as Squircle.  Where did I draw, yep, from a 1/8 chance, Squircle 9.

X marks the spot where my peg was, less than 10m wide, the lake holds small carp, some ornamentals and very few silvers.  I banked on pellets and set up 3 rigs to fish different depths on the far slope, from tight to the bank in 8" of water, one at about 14" and another at 18".  I did set a rig at depth to fish maggot short.


I wasn't enthused at all by the peg/lake and started short, had a couple of goldfish and two unexpected skimmers, but it wasn't ever going to be productive enough to compete.  Switched to fishing pellet over - hardly a hardship at 9m.... this wasn't much quicker and I doubt I had 4lb in the first hour,

I persisted with this, but could see Paul on peg 14 catching better fish on meat, 14 is on the opposite bank where the lake opens up a little wider.  I hadn't brought a meat cutter, but had in anticipation of a draw on the main lake, brought some meat already cut up to 8mm.  I did get of my box and set up another rig to fish this, but by now my frustration at drawing the bloody fishpond, not being able to get a signal to listen to the GP and the ducks, the f##king ducks.....  

I am usually pretty laid back with ducks, I don't think the fish mind them, because this lake is shallow and it has a head of ducks that would put a duck farm to shame, meant that it was impossible to feed any other line than that which you fished at the time.  If I fished short and fed over, the ducks would be diving and eating al the bait and vice versa.  I did have some better fish (1lb - 2lb), but I took too long to change to the meat and just lost my head with it and beat myself.  Not sure I could have beaten the end pegs, but if I had not got myself so pissed off, I could have pushed them a lot closer.

Some great weights of skimmers of the main lake, whilst the carp didn't really feed well on the other lakes.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see the guy on the next peg to you filmed it (Average Angler is his Youtube name).
Regards
Neil (The Landlord)

Chris Fox said...

He was on the other lake, the one I wanted to be on, I’d have loved his peg…….