Saturday 14 August 2021

Lance Tucker Memorial, River Kenn, Saturday 14th August.

 Today was a match arranged as a memorial to Lance Tucker, who was sadly taken far too early, 55 fishing, as that was the amount of available pegs on the river.  The draw was at the Bridge Inn, where it was good to see some friends and angling acquaintances I hadn't seen in a long time, just a shame it was in these circumstances.

The organisers (Kev and Brian) , along with many volunteers had done a great job in organising the match, clearing pegs and ensuring everyone had a fishable peg.  I drew 35, 3 pegs above Strode road bridge, not noted for bream, but it has been an area for roach in the past.

I was surprised when I got to the river at how clear it was, absolute tap water, I could see the bottom at 6' or 7' deep.



I had intended not to bring a pole, as there have been instances of dogs and inconsiderate walkers/cyclists causing issues, but I did get an old Tournament out of the loft and made up some rigs.

Also set up two wagglers, one insert peacock and another canal grey to fish off the bottom and on the drop, finally a lead rod.  Just as the match started, the wind got up and was pushing upstream - I say upstream, but the river was penned absolutely still.

I managed a miserable total of 7 roach, all on the waggler, only had one bite on the pole, which I missed and no indications at all on the lead.  I didn't bother the scalesman and unfortunately I couldn't go back to the Blue Flame for the results, so not sure what won my section, but I don't think it was much.... the two pegs to my right also DNW.

Big thanks to Kev for organising, I believe a decent sum of money was raised for the Charity that Craig (Lances son) has supported, hoping to fund research to stop the heath issue that Lance died from.






No comments: