Monday 30 August 2021

Acorn Two Dayer, Day 2, Monday 30th August 2021

 Decided to stop in The Bridge Inn at Yatton for breakfast, it unfortunately turned out to be the best part of the day, even with the sausages that must have spent quite some time in the hotplate, giving them a exterior reminiscent of a Kevlar stab vest..........

I drew myself peg 31, whilst my precious matches on this peg have resulted in DNW, I was fairly confident that the space down to my right would see me catch in the edge or short.


Plumbing up both edges and across, I found more depth than I'd like, near 3' than the 18" I would prefer.  I could find shallower water tight to the far bank so set up a rig for there, rig for the edges and one to fish down the near shelf.  A rig to fish in 3' across in front of the grasses was also put up.  The forecast was for wind, so I did get a method rod set up.

Having caught mostly on hard pellet on Saturday, I had hard pellets, corn and soft pellets, I did have a few maggots but only for hookers.

Started across and had indications. lost a few foulers, I tried dead depth, shallow, over depth, tight to the bank, off the bank, hard pellet. corn, no matter what I could not catch, I had 3 fish in the first 2 hours, not in the plan at all.  I just felt the fish were coming to the noise of the bait (started negatively with a toss pot, the moved onto catapulting and increasing the amount of feed - neither of which improved things..) but not taking it, at least, they weren't taking the hookbait.

I had been feeding a line at 2+1 done the near slope, I fished corn and soft pellet here, had a skimmer, then a carp, but it was short lived, skimmers and roach seemed to be all I could catch from there.  I could see Laurie on 28, which produced a good weight on Saturday from the edges, catching, but he had 16" one side and 22" the other, ideal depths.  My edges stayed apparently void of fish.

Looks like banking on pellets was a big mistake, I dug out the few maggots I had and fed them with GB to my LH side (as Lee on 33 was catching well in his edge), I started to catch on this line, but had to feed my meagre supply of maggots in a short space of time, trying pellets and corn was nowhere near as effective.

Disappointing, but my own fault, the match winner caught on caster, other big weights on maggots, speaking to Rob who won the match on Saturday, he also struggled to catch on pellets.  I was thinking keeping it simple would be the best way, but it doesn't hurt to have four pints of maggots in a bag, they'll keep a week or be frozen, lesson learnt.

The small bag of maggots didn't save me from last but one in the section and all chance framing on the day or over the two, but without them, I would have been a long way behind.  Even thinking about it after, I have no idea how I could have increased my weight without more maggots.

Well done to Darren, catching shallow on caster to win the match on the day and the overall.





No comments: