Thursday 29 November 2012

Viaduct Costcutter Thursday 29th November 2012

Its a long time since I managed to get to a Thursday Costcutter, so it was good to be back and join the 18 other hardy souls who braved the first frost for a while. With Campbell and a section of Cary in, I wasn't too fussed where I drew, as the plan would be similar. I decided to try the breakfast in Woody's cafe, it was tasty enough, but didn't leave me feeling full up, just as well I had a flask of mulligatawny soup to ward off the cold.

110 stuck to my drawing hand, a peg I'd prefer on a warmer day, but surely there would be some perch along the brambles past the stump. I set up a 4m whip for roach, a 4x12 jolly and a chimp one with a 20 on 0.10 the other a 16 on 0.12 for caster and maggot short and at 14m. A waggler rod for caster and another for corn or meat, not so much as a quiver on either meat or corn, so no more about that rod.

On the all in the wind started, only a light breeze, but into my face and as 110 doesn't get the sun, it was the start of a chilly day. A start on the whip saw a couple of micro roach snaffle the caster and that set the scene for the day. A consistent pattern of two or three fish on caster, then nothing, a switch to maggot would bring another fish or two, bizarrely, these were often bigger (but not much) than the caster fish. Then dead again, so a switch to another line, be it pole or waggler would see the pattern repeat, this was the case when I tried down to the pallet of 136 and along the brambles, although the brambles did produce the best fish of the day, a 8oz, perfect Rudd.

At one time during the match a few bread crusts floated past, followed by some red onion rings, either someone had dropped their ploughmans lunch in, or the fish are getting fussy and want the prawns that some were using, garnished.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get through the micro roach, even triple caster didn't thwart them, worm didn't tempt one bite, so I ended the day with lots of fish and effort for 7.02. At least it kept me warm.

1) Dick Bull 78.02 Peg 100
2) Jim Butcher 55.09 Peg 128
3) Martin Lenaghan 35.10 Peg 115
4) Terry Lenny 31.13 peg 123
5) Paul Lock 31.05 peg 98
6) T Heath 26.08 peg 116

Silvers

1) Andy Gard 13.06 peg 102
2) Stu Wood 12.15 peg 132 ( says 132 on the sheet, I'm sure he was sat on 131)
3) Mike Jones 12.12 peg 119
4) Rich Coles 11.07 peg 126
5) Chris Fox 7.02 peg 110
6) Nick Ewers 6.14 peg 125

No comments: